PDA

View Full Version : Jorge - I've been catching up on some of the Steve Coogan oeuvre, thanks to UK Gold.

Ashberto
08-22-2014, 04:16 PM
I've managed to miss a lot, it seems. You won't like this, but I think that Tommy Saxondale is actually a funnier and more interesting character than Mr P himself. Possibly because I actually knew a few people like that when I was in the midlands - Involved in the 70's rock scene, audio and military enthusiasts, big hair.

I've been enjoying The Trip as well. I didn't know Rob Brydon could be funny. Twiffic scenery too.

Berni
08-22-2014, 04:18 PM

Berni
08-22-2014, 04:20 PM
character every few days.

Classic Jorge
08-22-2014, 04:21 PM
Partridge is more laugh out loud funny and there have been times I have almost suffocated watching it, but Tommy is just a beautifully realised, well rounded and pathos stuffed character.

Hopefully you'll get on to watching Alpha Papa, it's very nearly totally Saxondale at times.

The boy's a genius, Ash

Ashberto
08-22-2014, 04:24 PM
I love the anger-management group bit at the beginning, too. Mr floppy-hair :hehe:.

Ashberto
08-22-2014, 04:28 PM
We had a private screening for the staff - I don't think I've ever laughed as loudly.

I agree - the boy is a genius. Ernest Moss and Mike Crystal :bow:

Classic Jorge
08-22-2014, 04:29 PM
You need to rewatch AP now, as with all his stuff it bears up.

That said, always more of a Gareth Cheeseman fan

Ashberto
08-22-2014, 04:38 PM
The trouble is Partridge is that he's a little bit Basil Fawlty for me. Cleese said we're not supposed to empathise with the character because he's such a monster, but its the people around him I can't help feeling for. The fillum didn't get me like that though as it seemed they could spend time on developing brilliantly funny dialogue and scenes rather than just leaning on his sometimes excruciating character flaws.

Which is your preferred series? For me he's at his funniest doing the radio programme.

Classic Jorge
08-22-2014, 04:46 PM
"dan, dan, dan, Dan, Dan, Dan, DAN, DAN, DAN!..........he's not heard me......................DAN!"

ITSUPFORGRABSNOW
08-22-2014, 05:23 PM