PDA

View Full Version : Are there no top quality Gilberto types about, then? I'd have thought that with everyone switching

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
07-12-2014, 02:28 PM
to 4-3-3, with genuine wide forwards (as opposed to wide midfielders) and Ozil style no.10s (who do about as much tackling as Bergy), then teams would need Gilberto types.

I suppose there must be a really good reason (that I don't get) why a decent, ball-playing centre half couldn't be converted to that role.

If Gilby could play as a CH, why can't a CH play as Gilby?

Djourou always said he wanted to be a DM. That Miquel lad looked decent on the ball.

Do most of the good teams (club and country) not play with a Gilby style DM, then? Do they have 2 box to boxers taking it in turns? Or do they do what we do, and just get a normal MF to sit all the time like Mikky does for us?

Billy Goat Sverige
07-12-2014, 02:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEstgTAXyec

the splendor of antigone
07-12-2014, 03:03 PM

Billy Goat Sverige
07-12-2014, 03:19 PM

07-12-2014, 03:22 PM
who spend the whole match slagging off all our players.

I don't watch Sky (or even have a telly aerial) but I cheer for all our players all game. Bendtner, Denilson, whoever.

Each to their own, but I like doing it that way.

During the season, I don't need to watch other teams, cos I get to watch us once or twice a week. No-one else matters. If our lads have done good, all will be fine.

It's just off season - well, nowadays only really, when there are 1,000 articles a day linking us with people I've never heard of - that I want to know about 'others'.

In the old days you didn't have this problem. There would be maybe 1 or 2 articles per month on the back pages, and the article would fill you in on the 'other' we were interested in.

the splendor of antigone
07-12-2014, 03:40 PM
You obviously haven't heard of him, but I can assure you he is quite good at this football lark.

Supermac1976
07-12-2014, 03:49 PM
:hehe:

Dr Headgear - Wannabe viking
07-12-2014, 04:11 PM
No sin in admitting ignorance. It's the wallies that see three good goals an claim the next Pele that get my back up.

Luis Anaconda
07-12-2014, 04:23 PM
wtf is that about :wave:

the splendor of antigone
07-12-2014, 04:25 PM
In an earlier post he claimed that he didn't know who Messi were until said player had a goal disallowed against us, and -- somehow intuitively, -- came to the conclusion that this player must be the one. That would seem to imply that at no time were the starting lineup displayed on screen, and nor did the commentator mention his name for the duration of the broadcast (he had a goal disallowed in the 38th minute of that game and had been instrumental in every Barca attack until then).

I find that very improbable.

redgunamo
07-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Wenger out :-|

the splendor of antigone
07-12-2014, 04:27 PM

Dr Headgear - Wannabe viking
07-12-2014, 04:27 PM
The stop-start dribbling thing for instance.

Obviously it was posted by an utter cretin, but there you go.

Ben.
07-12-2014, 04:31 PM
Harmison conceded 32 off the last over

24 off the first 3 balls :hehe:

Wouldn't mind but in their entire team Westley is probably the least likely.

07-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Though he did score one.

And put 4 past us the year before at theirs.

As I said, I've only really known who two opponents were - Messi when he missed that chance. And Ronaldo as he pranced around before scoring a 40 yard free kick against us.

But in that 2-1 win, I'm sure that Xavi and Iniesta played against us, I just don't know what either looked like. So as neither scored and got their names on the screen, I couldn't tell you how either played.

They're just the opposition, as far as I'm concerned.

07-12-2014, 04:51 PM
and I hate him being associated with something I love.

As I say, I don't have great eyesight, and normally forget my glasses. I'm only really bothered about our players.

That's why I can't tell you what Khadeira's like, cos I'm only looking for Ozil.

But I have seen Muller (and Klose) score cos you notice the goals and see the replays.

I didn't know it was David Bentley scoring against us until the name came up. I find out the running order and just watch us on MotD.

10-20 years ago, I'd watch the other teams on MotD. I'd even watch whole games of 'others' when it was the title run it and it could affect our chances.

Maybe if we mount a title challenge I'll get back to the old ways, or maybe I still won't care and will just have the rival's game in another tab and follow it by BBC text.

I hope I get to find out (as it will mean we're challenging.)