PDA

View Full Version : Have we ever signed anyone after a good world cup? Gilberto 2002? But I didn't notice him - I

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
06-11-2014, 09:15 PM
don't really watch any of the games, so I'd only here about people from headlines.

So even though Gilby, I believe, played every minute of every game as they won the thing, I hadn't actually heard of him.

I remember watching the first Czech game after we'd signed TR7 and thinking he was rather tasty.

Played a great, driving 1-2 and scored. And hoofed the ball onto the bar form 25 yards if I remember correctly.

Did Sweden/Limpar play in 1990?

Another Gilby would be nice. A pittance for the DM who wins the thing playing every minute of every game.

But it won't happen, will it?

Shall I just watch the cricket till dealine day?

the splendor of antigone
06-11-2014, 09:22 PM
If a player performs really well at a World Cup their price becomes very much inflated. Wenger is not much of a fan of signing players whose value is inflated, he will always have signed them up prior to the tournament given the extensive scouting and knowledge the club -- presumably, -- has accumulated about a potential transfer target. These kinds of spontaneous, knee-jerk signings are very un-Arsenal-like. Arshavin might be the exception that proves the rule, though.

06-11-2014, 09:25 PM
WC winning star for £3.5m, though?

Nowadays, any DM who wins the tournament would have a massive auction.

What has changed in 12 years.

I'm not going mad, am I?

We did buy him in 2002, and after the WC, no?

Supermac1976
06-11-2014, 09:25 PM

the splendor of antigone
06-11-2014, 09:28 PM

Supermac1976
06-11-2014, 09:29 PM

06-11-2014, 09:39 PM
between the Ruskies and Qatar?

Wow. I've just noticed that they've got the next two WCs.

They are utter c**ts.

We should have got C.J.Fox to cut a deal with Boney in 1806, so that when the French signed the peace of Tislit the next year, we joined him in a sly attack on the Ruskies.

Drop the continental system, don't f**k with the empire and you can trash the ruskie scum with our naval support.

And then, 150 years later, we both tell Nasser that he can have the canal if he drops one of these nukes on the towel-heads for us.

Why do our f**king politicians never think ahead?

I don't generally agree with imperialism. It's normally rather unpleasant. But not as unpleasant as watching the Chavs lift the CL.

So f**k it.

Nuke them both now.

06-11-2014, 09:41 PM