PDA

View Full Version : So yes. Went to the Secret Nuclear Bunker at Kelvedon Hatch on Monday. `

Berni
05-29-2014, 01:12 PM
There was something reassuringly amateurish and half-arsed about the place. Like they never really believed they'd actually have to use it.

It was also really depressing down there. There were barracks the size of a living room for 30-odd blokes. It would have really hummed in no time at all. I think I'd have preferred a quick death from a nuclear blast tbh. Even the Prime Minister's room was ****.

Jake
05-29-2014, 01:19 PM
That's the main thing I took from the whole place.

Classic Jorge
05-29-2014, 01:20 PM
I would hate it, literally hate it, if you went there with a straight bat

Berni
05-29-2014, 01:33 PM
up with the threat of nuclear annihilation being rammed down our throats all the time.

But to be honest, they were too busy trying to get their heads round the idea of pre-digital communications and phones you had to actually dial.

Classic Jorge
05-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Apparently my daughter is "Not in any way old enough" to understand the schools nuclear film that traumatised me

Berni
05-29-2014, 01:52 PM
With hindsight, it was a very weird thing to grow up with and treat as normal. Virtually impossible to get kids to understand.

Classic Jorge
05-29-2014, 01:55 PM
That and the seemingly constant noncing

Berni
05-29-2014, 01:57 PM
perspective, though.

These days people get all het up about it 'cos they've nothing better to worry about imo. :shrug:

Snin
05-29-2014, 02:08 PM
and free access to sports centre above it!

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g198848-d306983-Re views-The_Bunker-Verbier_Valais_Swiss_Alps.html (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g198848-d306983-Reviews-The_Bunker-Verbier_Valais_Swiss_Alps.html)

think it may have clsoed down though... :-(

these poofs were not so keen / hard men / mountain men I guess :hehe:

5 reviews sorted by: Date | Rating
English first
Johnthetravel1
1 review
1 helpful vote 1 helpful vote
“Horrible!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 15 February 2013 via mobile

Leave!!! Don't go there! For the price it's a shame to have a place like that. Dirty, underground, no windows, no shower...You don't deserve to stay there. It's better to pay a bit more but not to be like on a battlefield during the war.
Was this review helpful? Yes 1
olderskiier
Brisbane
1 review
“Basic, but great staff and the price is right”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 March 2009

I recently stayed in the Summer House for two nights during winter ski trip to the Valais / Verbier region. I was a litle apprehensive, having read some of the adverse comments of other reviews. Overall, I found the experience positive and enjoyable, and low cost. The accommodation was basic in the xxtreme, but I just wanted a ski bed,... More
Was this review helpful? Yes
donnab25
Yorks
1 review
1 helpful vote 1 helpful vote
“Run!!!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 11 February 2008

Stayed for about 3 mins. It is worth having a look just for the experience and since it is never locked you won't have to book, just walk straight in to any of the rooms. If you can stay somewhere underground with one way in and out that looks a little like it belongs in a horror film, enjoy. There... More
Was this review helpful? Yes 1
Travellers are raving about these Verbier hotels
MAP Verbier-Village
MAP Verbier-Village
4.5 of 5 stars
Show Prices
W Verbier
W Verbier
4 of 5 stars
Show Prices
Hotel Vanessa
Hotel Vanessa
4 of 5 stars
Show Prices
Le Chalet de Flore
Le Chalet de Flore
5 of 5 stars
Show Prices
Central Hotel Verbier
Central Hotel Verbier
4.5 of 5 stars
Show Prices
heahtons
N.Ireland
1 review
2 helpful votes 2 helpful votes
“The Bunker - NIGHTMARE!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 January 2008

Lets just say it was an experience!! This place is like Hell on earth. I've travelled a little and stayed in lots of hostels but this was a nightmare. Cramped, no natural light, no showers, it actually is a running joke in Verbier. We had to pay up front, which normally would not be a problem but for only 2... More
Was this review helpful? Yes 2

PSRB
05-29-2014, 02:12 PM
a bit lame in comparison to the Cuban missile crisis

"now that was a proper threat of the end of the World"

Berni
05-29-2014, 02:14 PM
sleep for fear of nuclear war and they'd send you packing with a flea in your ear while banging on about the bloody Cuban Missile Crisis :-(