PDA

View Full Version : Enough of Iceland, let's discuss another tiny little country in our own backyard

Guns 'n' Roses
05-16-2014, 09:36 AM
It's funny innit, when you face someone who looks white, nice, clean and wholesome, just like us scandies, and speak a language that sounds like your own, only you don't understand a word. I sat next a bunch of these on a flight, recently. So I took a peak at the chap's name tag, and it was purely scandy, could be Nog, more likely Danish. They did not speak Icelandic. I can reckernice Icelandic. So I guessed: Faroes. And I was right.

That's the true Viking language. That's the language which most recembles the "Old Norwegian". The language our lads spoke when they toured Europe and the British Isles. The last words some poor Irish monk heard before his head came off was in this language. Fascinating.

Berni
05-16-2014, 09:41 AM

Snin
05-16-2014, 09:44 AM
Top day all round imo... Vikings even burnt down marlow once so not sure if they will re-enact that part ? :rubchin:

"In the 10th century there were more attacks and in 1011 the King begged for peace and promised tax and provisions, but many burhs were still burned down by the Vikings. The hamlet of Marlow was probably burned at this time."

:-)

Punch & Judy

"Wychwood Warriors" Viking Re-enactment Group

Vintage Car Rally

Live Music and Dance performances throughout the day

Gourmet BBQ, Real Ale Tent & Ladies Circle Cream Teas

Great prizes to be won at the famous 3:30pm Duck Race

Guns 'n' Roses
05-16-2014, 09:46 AM
the Faroers are not too happy about this misconception. I've been to neither of those islands so I can't really tell.

But, as I said, the Faroe Language is very ismilar to wot scandies spoke 700 years ago. For some reason, Icelandic is not, despite it being our Australia'ish. A safe heaven for Norwegian outlaws.

Sir Charlie of Nicholas
05-16-2014, 09:48 AM

Guns 'n' Roses
05-16-2014, 10:52 AM

Iceland
05-16-2014, 11:07 AM
How on earth is Faroes (Færeyska) more original than Icelandic? That is a ridiculous statement.

I suggest you read a little history. Faroese is basically Icelandic with a lot of Nogg (good) and Danish (bad) influences due to being ruled by those ****ers for hundreds of years.

Same process as with Nogg, you were ruled by the Danes, therefore you now speak Danish dialoge with a different accent. I have lived in Norway and go there 1 week a month for business (Stavanger/Bergen/Oslo/Ålesund) and I know there are many dialects, but your writing is basically Danish.

Iceland
05-16-2014, 11:10 AM
By the way: we can still read the litterature written in around 12-1300 by the vikings, because it is the same ****:

The conservatism of the Icelandic language and its resultant near-isomorphism to Old Norse (which is equivalently termed Old Icelandic by linguists) means that modern Icelanders can easily read the Eddas, sagas, and other classic Old Norse literary works created in the tenth through thirteenth centuries.

Peter
05-16-2014, 11:11 AM
I loved iceland by the way. Great bunch of lads :-)

Iceland
05-16-2014, 11:15 AM
Half price compared to Norway!!!!!!!!

It is crazy, 5 GBP for a f**king beer. that is why we drink homemade stuff, which is why we (the men) look so f**king ugly