PDA

View Full Version : Do we really need further Balkanisation of Britain?

Ashberto
04-24-2014, 01:38 PM
So the saxon-dodgers in Cornwall have got recognition of their identity, whatever the f**k that means.

How is it that when we are trying to find what we have in common with each other to build a closer Europe, we are trying to accentuate how we are different from each other in Britain?

I remember going to North Wales as a youngster and there wasn't the impression of Welsh being widely used as a language, but now it's everywhere. The funny thing is though, they only pretend to use it to impress either the visiting Ingleses or each other - I don't know. On more than one occasion people I approached chatting in English suddenly switched to Welsh as they noticed me. I am a dark Celt by appearance myself, as it goes.

Maybe the Cornish flag will come in handy though. The Union Jock would look a bit crap without the Jock bit, but maybe the black background will fit nicely and then there WILL be Black in the Union Jack. :-)

Horhe to express his bewilderment at flags in 5..4..3..

Classic Jorge
04-24-2014, 01:44 PM
The bizarre thing is that it's one of the great things about britain, we're all very different from eachother, even those 20 minutes up the road have a different accent and/or names for bread rolls.

I think the whole thing might be a reaction to this "Britishness" nonsense

Ashberto
04-24-2014, 01:56 PM
'Britishness' is not nonsense to some Black and Asian people who associate Englishness with football and white drunken racism.

Yes, it's fun that cities have their own name for bread rolls but that's just because it's the closest we get to regional cuisine. Other than cornish pasties and black pudding, of course.

Surely you must admit the contradiction between the drive for internationalism in Europe (and my beef with the EU is strictly with the ruling class who run it, not the concept of removing barriers) and the trend for encouraging divisive separatism within countries.

Actually, as I type this, the concept of encouraging local divisions to weaken nation states to the benefit of the autocratic euro-centrists does have a logic, but not the one the likes of you and I should be supporting imo.

Ashberto
04-24-2014, 02:01 PM
for the sudden switch to their pretendy language when they saw me coming. Perhaps there is pressure from proud nationalists to speak it. At a time where people from all over the world are learning widely-used languages like Spanish and English because they are useful, I really don't see the economic benefit of favouring Welsh.

Classic Jorge
04-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Like a citizenship test for people who, at best, can only hope to be subjects.

I do think that the overall direction of travel towards globalism does leave people feeling the need to cling onto their roots that bit tighter. That said, being proud of a nationality, sub nationality or regional identity is a bizarre concept in and of itself. I can understand being proud of an achievement but an accident of birth?

Classic Jorge
04-24-2014, 02:21 PM
Though our explanation was always that we were 'Armada Irish'

PSRB
04-24-2014, 02:27 PM
never use "magic"

Classic Jorge
04-24-2014, 02:32 PM
BTW I am now level 53 on Skyrim, I'm one bad melon farmer

Ashberto
04-24-2014, 02:38 PM
and seems to be a component of the human condition. There are doubtless evolutionary reasons for it in terms of local/tribal unity and so on. Of course we should aspire to outgrow these things, but denying our biology, as the feminazis want us to do when they expect us to stop finding women sexually desirable, is easier said than done.

Are you proud to support Arsenal? To hail from Finsbury Park? To be a combination of those things? The third I suspect to be true, yet it is an accident of birth.

PSRB
04-24-2014, 02:38 PM
gathering dust

Got to level 50 odd

Elder Scrolls online in June :-)

Alexism - Atheoist
04-24-2014, 04:44 PM
just soaking in their attack before dispatching it quickly. I was a bit Op in the parlance of the juveniles.