PDA

View Full Version : Things are really looking up.

Gunner Since Time Began - born to moan
04-10-2014, 04:40 PM
Arsenal are facing a mounting injury crisis ahead of Saturday’s FA Cup semi-final against Wigan with as many as 11 players potentially unavailable.

Arsene Wenger confirmed today that Kieran Gibbs, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Tomas Rosicky are all “at the moment unavailable” but he will give the trio as much time as possible to prove their fitness.

It is understood that Oxlade-Chamberlain has the best chance of recovery from what is believed to be a slight groin problem but Rosicky, who has a thigh injury, and Gibbs are major doubts to face the Championship club.

Arsenal are already without Mathieu Flamini through suspension, while Laurent Koscielny and Mesut Ozil are also sidelined but set to return next week from calf and hamstring problems respectively.

Jack Wilshere, Theo Walcott, Abou Diaby, Serge Gnabry and Nicklas Bendtner remain injured but Wenger was at least boosted by the news that Aaron Ramsey is in line for his first start since Boxing Day following a second-half cameo in last weekend’s defeat at Everton.

That performance was the latest in a series of chastening defeats for Arsenal and Wenger admits his biggest task is to rebuild his players’ self-belief.

“We know that we didn’t turn up with a performance that we wanted and therefore after the huge disappointment analysed what didn’t go right and where we want to improve and as I told you after the game we want to go back to basics,” said the Arsenal boss.

“First of all as a team we have to defend better and that of course was not right from the Everton game.

“For us what is very important is to win the semi-final and it’s important we focus on that. After that we play against an opponent that has done well in this competition. They have beaten Man City away so we want to focus on that and make sure we can go through. We highly respect Wigan for what they have done and the best way to go to the final is to do that.”

“This season we lost key players at important moments but we have to just to focus on finishing as well as we can. We are in a position where we can still do very well until the end of the season, that is what we want.

“It is not about next season, it is about this season.”

One Wilf Copping
04-10-2014, 04:53 PM
the remainder of the squad are being overloaded.

Wenger overloads his best players – and always has done from Fabregas through to Ramsey, Walcott etc. He also doesn't increase his squad depth in the way that other teams do.

:shrug:

Gunner Since Time Began - born to moan
04-10-2014, 04:55 PM

Monty91
04-10-2014, 05:00 PM
when what you infact are is just some **** on the Interflump.

Nicosia Gooner
04-10-2014, 05:01 PM
I could of course be wrong!

:hehe:

Mo Britain less Europe
04-10-2014, 05:03 PM
West Ham game?

Nicosia Gooner
04-10-2014, 05:10 PM

Ashberto
04-10-2014, 05:13 PM
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Interflump&ie=utf-8&am p;oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&c lient=firefox-a&channel=rcs&gfe_rd=cr&ei=d9BGU96 uManR8geZwICYBA (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Interflump&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&channel=rcs&gfe_rd=cr&ei=d9BGU96uManR8geZwICYBA)

And two of the three hits in the world are from forums I post on.

Wembleygooner- raised in hornsey
04-10-2014, 05:32 PM
And speaking at the pre-match press conference, he is adamant no wholesale changes to his squad will be require this summer, claiming injuries to key players have proved destructive to the club's ambitions in recent months.

One Wilf Copping
04-10-2014, 07:58 PM
I think he's got more stubbirn though and has been overtaken by other managers. I'd still rather keep him though than to force him out without any dignity.

I'd rather Wenger changed in fact than someone else come in, I just don't think he's capable of changing anymore.

Nicosia Gooner
04-10-2014, 08:01 PM

One Wilf Copping
04-10-2014, 08:22 PM
presumably knows more than you or me.

The greater the load on players, the greater the risk of potential injury. It's not rocket science. We have repeated injuries caused by strain rather than impact from bad tackles.

Arsenal repeat this message ad infinitum at their annual sports and exercise medicine conference every March. Various websites (like The Guardian) have also reported off-the-record comments from people at Arsenal that Ramsey's last injury came when he was already in the red zone and should have been rested.

As for Wenger, he's commented at various times that there's always a temptation to play the best players when they're coming back from injury. Some other clubs have a policy of not doing this or only playing someone for a set number of minutes on their comeback. Wenger decided (or maybe had no other option) to play Ramsey after just a couple of training sessions since rejoining training.

That would be seen as too much of a risk at a lot of clubs.

People like O'Driscoll, Lewin and Harland can focus as much as they want on treatment, rehabilitation and conditioning, but if the manager puts a player back in when he's not ready that's a risk. The same when a player is played endlessly without being rotated.

Sorry if that somehow challenges your world view.

I don't in any way at all think I'm an authority, but if you're worried about that maybe it says more about your own little insecurities.

One Wilf Copping
04-10-2014, 08:34 PM
No limit on players under 21.