PDA

View Full Version : Is Wenger as good as people say he is? Before you all start going mental Shout

Pat Vegas
03-26-2014, 12:43 PM
Let's try to be sensible here.

I hear a lot of people say 'one of the best in the world'

Well his situation is rather a unique one on the world of football imo.

Can't deny he brought a whole new style to the Premier League. It was a joy to watch. And had discovered plenty of amazing unknowns or players who did't reach their potential and he made the best out of them.

Finally a new challenger to United's Premier league was around. Other clubs were very jealous of him and wish they could have him at the team.

I would also think this was part of the reason the Premier league grew in popularity in the following years. (though I think the league is in decline currently)

Also the stadium move etc was all from his arrival. And he has had to work with budget constraints from many years.

BUT. From a managerial point of view. I feel he often was on the losing end of the mind games. Whilst we dented United's dominance, Ferguson was often the victor of the battles. And as Chelsea came around with Abramovich on board. the same thing happened with Mourinho.

I honestly believe the Invincibles team actually underachieved. There were leagues to be won. and that team should have won a Champions League trophy.

Lately success seemed to be gauged upon solely Arsenal finishing in the top 4. And having a decent run in the CL.
But lately once we get past the group stages we are effectively out of the tournament after the first leg

Arsenal have had some luck on their side too with the top 4 finishes. There have been a couple of very close shaves.

Anyway whilst. Wengers achievements can't be denied. As I mentioned at the beginning he has unique situation. Mourinho has been eluding to this.
Wenger doesn't suffer from the same pressures from the board as other managers. It appears 'though may not be true' that as long as they get top 4 it doesn't matter what else happens.

Other managers at other clubs would not have the luxury of such job security.

But from what I've seen lately I am very concerned. The excuse of not being able to compete with the 'City's ' Chelsea's' Is not a valid one. It is when you are competing and trying your best. When you see how the players crumble and appear to be mentally weak it's very strange indeed.

Others have been laughing at Wenger for years. People don't regard him in the same way as the Arsenal fans do (which is normal) It's a shame for him if it ends this negative way.

But until something changes I find this extremely boring. And I am not the only one. People are just bored of it.

McNulty
03-26-2014, 12:54 PM

Pat Vegas
03-26-2014, 12:58 PM

Rich
03-26-2014, 12:59 PM

McNulty
03-26-2014, 01:01 PM

Lord Roose Bolton
03-26-2014, 01:03 PM

Lord Roose Bolton
03-26-2014, 01:04 PM
but in life sometimes you got to take one.

Lord Roose Bolton
03-26-2014, 01:06 PM
but they have been ravaged with injuries and lack squad depth, even in their starting eleven.

The Tony
03-26-2014, 01:06 PM
Win then it's a great way to say goodbye....lose and well...yeah Arsene we need to have a talk....

The Tony
03-26-2014, 01:09 PM
Pretty decent record when he was in charge of Bayern too with an arguably weaker squad....knows England....cultured technician who will be more up to speed with the newer elements of modern football...young and fresh and not burnt our or damaged goods ....Will link it well with the Germans in the team....maybe the man to reinspire Ozil like Wenger did with Stoikovic back in the day.

David Pleat AHADF (Royal Welsher and monkey lover)
03-26-2014, 01:10 PM

Steve Williams - gay for Mark Knopfler
03-26-2014, 01:21 PM
I doubt Fash is on a task force or specially convened group of individuals who are responsible for identifying and securing Wenger's replacement.

Maybe he is.

Deleted Account
03-26-2014, 01:23 PM
Sometimes a change in itself is the priority.

Nicosia Gooner
03-26-2014, 01:29 PM

LadyG -keeping the spirit of the unbeatables alive
03-26-2014, 03:37 PM
Mr Paris was reminding me about an interview he gave after the Villa game. He thought that this was Wenger's last season then. The treatment of Wenger by the Arsenal supporters not going down well for many of the same reasons already expressed on awimb.