PDA

View Full Version : Monty Read it Here is my guide of the area.

Pat Vegas
03-13-2014, 02:42 PM
1) Ducketts common is fine. But the common it self is a magnet for dodgy folks. I would avoid walking through it late. Which is easily done as the road goes around it and it's very small.

Also the tescos on the corner seems the dodgy corner to hang out. No trouble there imo.

On to the benefits.

Green Lanes is full of very nice restaurants. and if needed wedding cake shops. And if you ever need to buy some Turkish gold it's always handy.

Down the end you have Harringey green lanes where there is a big sainsburys. (built by a very fine Irish Gentleman)
There is also a homebase, TX MAXX Argos and other *******s.

If you like going for Walks. You have Alexandra Palace and Crouch End which is a nice walk. Or head north to Palmers Green where you have Waitrose etc. Not a bad little area. an even longer walk or a short bus journey you have Winchmore Hill and Enfield Town centre. Home of the first Cash Machine in the world.
quite nice there.

You can get you the Arsenal games in 10 mins.

Wood Green shopping centre. Whilst not having the most wonderful of clientele has a lot of decent shops actually.

What else do you need to know?

The only thing is there are not that many pubs around there. (or as many as you may see in other areas.

Steve Williams - gay for Mark Knopfler
03-13-2014, 02:51 PM
I can readily think of a few pubs within about 2 minutes of the station.

Queens Head, the one over by what was Burger King, the Moon under Water further up Turnpike Lane itself, the one just down Westbury Avenue on the left.

A few more minutes would take you to the one down West Green Road on the right hand side, or down Green Lanes to the Old Suffolk Punch.

Whatever you may want to say about us Irish we always made sure there was pubs in areas we lived in.

Pat Vegas
03-13-2014, 02:54 PM
Though I've moved up a bit higher now.
couple of pubs just past Wood Green Station.

One is proper old school Irish pub. And by that I don't mean pretend Irish pub like O'Niells.

Steve Williams - gay for Mark Knopfler
03-13-2014, 02:56 PM
We lived on Boundary Road before the neighbours hounded us out.

I frequented a few up by Wood Green also.

Guns 'n' Roses
03-13-2014, 03:03 PM

Monty91
03-13-2014, 03:14 PM
"Over the past half a year, though, the area seems to have taken a less severe, but undeniably dynamic, decline. There have been around five instances of extreme violence, in the form of stabbings and a shooting, some fatal, since we moved in, one of which occurred just one road over from our house. Having moved to Harringay from the somewhat less intimidating Bloomsbury, it has been difficult to conceal how uncomfortable this area can make me feel at times. I would never, for instance, leave the house alone at night unless absolutely necessary, as a result of the shady characters who lurk on street corners, offering cocaine to anyone and everyone, and the intimidating people who shout after you when you walk past. I feel terrible saying this, of course, because I’m sure the vast majority of people have no hidden agenda, and pose no threat, but given the alarming amount of stabbings and the like in the area, I prefer not to take the risk.

"It isn’t just the violence though. Parts of the high street are pretty much constantly enshrouded in a cloud of cannabis fumes, with groups of young people huddled around potent spliffs. It is more than once, also, that I have been given the opportunity to buy drugs myself. I have always been approached first, and always in the same place. Usually, I am alone. It is incredibly intimidating, especially when you haven’t indicated an interest in buying drugs at all, and it’s alarming how explicit the dealers are. I don’t understand how they get away with it, given the relatively high police presence in the area. In fact, when we moved in, the amount of sirens we heard every night became a bit of a running joke, and even now, when any of us Turnpike Lane-rs go home for the weekend, we still comment on how strange it is to lay in bed in silence, without the constant backdrop of sirens and shouting."

Pat Vegas
03-13-2014, 03:27 PM
Spanish fella after I was playing basketball.

'Do you want to buy some drugs?'
No thanks
'oh You are playing sports no problem'

:shrug:

That person mentions a decline. If anything it's got better imo.
But you can tell an area is a bit ****ty when there is no Starbucks but 2 KFC's and 3 subways.

Monty91
03-13-2014, 03:30 PM

Ashberto
03-13-2014, 03:36 PM
to be a bit shady in comparison. She's also a journalist, therefore prone to lurid exaggeration.

Why don't you spend some time up there though, to see for yourself?