PDA

View Full Version : Made the mistake of falling down a twitter rabbit hole last night

Classic Jorge
03-12-2014, 09:41 AM
People really, really dont like Giroud. He, rather inexplicably, came in for a lot of stick last night. I thought he was quite good and kept both centrebacks busy for the full ninety minutes.

LadyG -keeping the spirit of the unbeatables alive
03-12-2014, 09:46 AM

Tai Lopez
03-12-2014, 09:47 AM
She was pissed up as usual, Fell backwards on to me and knocking me down the stairs. I have to repair the banisters now. Luckily she didn't hurt herself as this time her head landed on a yellow pages and it cushioned the blow.

redgunamo
03-12-2014, 09:47 AM
It's why alot of people preferred Wright to Smith. Or, just for you, Maradona to Valdano.

Classic Jorge
03-12-2014, 09:49 AM

Steve Williams - gay for Mark Knopfler
03-12-2014, 09:55 AM
Tough match for him all the same.

Comprehensively outplayed really over the two legs, no shame in that. We f**ked up in the group stages, not in either leg v Munich.

Move on to Spurs now.

Classic Jorge
03-12-2014, 09:58 AM
We looked good, really good, for the first half an hour of the first leg. After that we were never, ever going to compete with only ten men.

Both teams played well within themselves last night but we came out of it with a credible draw. I thought it was a good, solid, assured and discplined performance last night and - if it werent for the red in the last game - we would have had a real chance of winning the tie.

redgunamo
03-12-2014, 10:06 AM
find your whole "project" on hold, waiting for one like them to show up in order for it to reach fruition.

03-12-2014, 10:09 AM
First leg we started well and were the better team for the first 20 minutes, no doubt there, we had chances with Sanogo and also the pen. Neither went in and they began to establish themselves on the game, Kroos and Thiago being the most prominent players on the pitch. Second half they dominated at a guess 90%+ of the game, yes there was mitigating circumstances of us being a man down but there you go, that’s football and it is also a fact of the game. You have seen enough games of football to know that having an extra man is just the start, it is how a team uses than numerical advantage that counts and they gave a complete master class in that respect.

Last night the first 45 minutes was close to utter domination save for a half chance header. There was the odd occasion where one moved forward on the sofa as Chamberlain in particular tried to run directly at them but it was in areas of no real danger. Second half yes we had a few moments but that was surely the least we should have hoped for, a tangible effort to try and win a game that we had to win.

We were outplayed. I am not saying we embarrassed ourselves which we didn’t but they are miles ahead of us, which is fair enough as they are probably the best club side in Europe. Not perfect, but the best.

No point in coming back to me with if’s or but’s, if Ozil etc. The word if is possibly the most retarded word to use in retrospective football analysis. Let’s face it, IF Spurs had better footballers and management they would not be usesless ********s.

Witharby 2-3 weeks
03-12-2014, 10:10 AM
How **** is the Bundesliga if they are 20 points clear?

Ashberto
03-12-2014, 10:13 AM
We were even with them with 11 men and missed a penalty in that time. That and losing the keeper was our own fault but we still kept them down to a single goal lead until the very end.

In the second leg AW looked to have a strategy of containing them for the first half (Anfield 89 style)and releasing the Ox on the break. We did this, and they cynically kicked Alex over every time and probably should have had some more yellows for it.

Second half was more open as we comitted more forward and we had some decent openings towards the end but didn't quite get it right in the final third.

Yes, they are obviously the better team, but we weren't a long way off them imo.

I do think that we bascially f**ked up this tournament in Naples, though. We might agree on that.

Witharby 2-3 weeks
03-12-2014, 10:14 AM
Their full strength (last night) v ours.

I think Walcott would terrify Dante

Oh and a ref that books diving :-)

They would still win but probably only by an odd goal. They are good, but not that good.

redgunamo
03-12-2014, 10:15 AM

redgunamo
03-12-2014, 10:18 AM
catching us up though.

It handily ignores the traditional benefit of the doubt awarded to those with the shinier collection of pots & pans.

03-12-2014, 10:20 AM
Their best 11 against our best 11, presumably on a day that is perfect for football, with both sides fully rested, and indeed both sides playing well, no off days.

Neutral ground also.

03-12-2014, 10:24 AM
I would imagine however if you viewed a two leg match such as we have just been through, and the losing side was not Arsenal which you have a natural bias towards, then your analysis may be different.

Classic Jorge
We were comprehensively outplayed at city, for example

redgunamo
bought by billionaire oligarchs or Arab oil princes.

Just to shake things up a bit.

redgunamo
03-12-2014, 10:30 AM

Witharby 2-3 weeks
03-12-2014, 10:37 AM
but still not miles ahead. Basterd Robben should have been shot

03-12-2014, 10:39 AM
I think this issue has been raised before.

Now, if you were to furnish me with 2 tickets for the cup semi final I would probably be willing to let it go this time.

Witharby 2-3 weeks
03-12-2014, 10:41 AM
Some may have said the same over here with Utd if it were not for Abramovich and Mansoor but, in reality it would have left a gap for the likes of Liverpool and maybe even Spurs to have regular CL money and, with far bigger fan bases than Chelsea and City, they would probably have competed far better than they have.

Also we would have won a couple of more shiny pots

Witharby 2-3 weeks
03-12-2014, 10:47 AM
I think they have better midfielders and right back, but I would not take the rest of their defence against ours and Mandzukic is not in the world's top 20 strikers either.

In the first leg we were unlucky, not outplayed because they were miles better, they were not until the sending off.

Second leg they were certainly the better side but 1-1 is not an outplayed scoreline. If possession means outplayed then we outplay the whole premiership by a country mile.

As for tickets I am one short for my mob but I will pass the word around and if I do end up in surplus you shall be first to know.

Still think Robben should be shot

03-12-2014, 11:00 AM
Best 20 in the world, perhaps not though I am not sure what criteria would be applied to evaluate this, but then I doubt Giroud would be either if you are being so harsh on the Croat.

Thing is Pep may agree with you, or at very least he has identified it as a position where they can improve and they have acted very decisively to do so recruiting one of the best in Europe, certainly one of the most coveted and the best openly available.

I like how Bayern act in that respect, a methodical and almost tactical strengthening of their squad.

You and I both know that Giroud will still be the man in position next August.

Agree on Robben all the same.

Luis Anaconda
03-12-2014, 11:02 AM
Several last ditch interceptions and always a threat going forward

Witharby 2-3 weeks
03-12-2014, 11:09 AM

Witharby 2-3 weeks
03-12-2014, 11:11 AM
Be ok when we get Suarez with his buy out clause

redgunamo
03-12-2014, 11:31 AM