PDA

View Full Version : Rich I need your medical knowledge please. I woke up and my ear hurts a lot.

Pat Vegas
01-31-2014, 12:16 PM
It's very very sore. But the outer ear not ear canal.

It doesn't hurt when I am sitting normally but if I touch it anywhere it hurts like f**k. Feels like when you have a bad spot. but can't find any spot.

Is this likely to become an ear infection or some *******s as I really don't have time for that this week. I'll cut the c**ting thing off as I have holidays to go on.

Snin
01-31-2014, 12:19 PM
Managing your symptoms at home

The advice below should help relieve symptoms (to a certain extent) and prevent complications.

Avoid getting your affected ear wet. It can help to wear a shower cap while showering and bathing. Remove any discharge or debris by gently swabbing your outer ear with cotton wool, being careful not to damage it; don't stick cotton wool or a cotton bud inside your ear as this could damage it.
Remove anything from your affected ear that may cause an allergic reaction, such as hearing aids, earplugs and earrings.
Use painkillers, such as paracetamol or ibuprofen, to relieve ear pain. However, don't take ibuprofen if you are asthmatic or have stomach problems, such as stomach ulcers (past or present). If you're unsure whether you should take it, check with your GP, practice nurse or pharmacist. Children under the age of 16 shouldn't take aspirin.
Placing a warm flannel or cloth over the affected ear may also help to relieve pain.
Avoid swimming until you are sure that the infection has passed.

Treatments your GP can provide

While otitis externa can clear up by itself, this can take several weeks without treatment.

Your GP can usually prescribe medicated eardrops that speed up the healing process. There are four main types of eardrops used to treat otitis externa:

antibiotic eardrops – which can treat an underlying bacterial infection
corticosteroid eardrops – which can help reduce swelling
antifungal eardrops – which can treat an underlying fungal infection
acidic eardrops – the acid can help kill bacteria

Sometimes you may be given medication that's a combination of the above, such as antibiotic and corticosteroid eardrops.
Applying eardrops

Ear drops may not work as well if they are not used in the right way so it's important to apply them correctly. Ideally, ask somebody else to apply the drops for you as this makes the process much easier.

You (or your helper) will need to follow these steps:

Gently remove any discharge, ear wax or debris from your outer ear and ear canal using a twist of cotton wool (do not use a cotton bud).
Warm the eardrops by holding them in your hands for a few minutes – cold eardrops can make you feel dizzy.
Lie on your side with your affected ear facing up before applying the drops directly into your external ear canal and then gently push and pull your ear to work the drops in and to get any trapped air out.
Stay lying down for 3-5 minutes to ensure that the eardrops do not come out of your ear canal.
Leave the ear canal open to dry.

Other treatments

Other treatments your GP can provide include:

stronger prescription painkillers such as codeine for severe cases
antibiotics tablets or capsules to treat a severe infection – an antibiotic called flucloxacillin is usually the preferred choice
treatment for underlying skin conditions that may aggravate your otitis externa, such as seborrhoeic dermatitis, psoriasis or eczema
if a boil develops inside your ear your GP may decide to pierce it with a sterile needle and drain the pus; this is known as incision and drainage (never attempt to do this yourself)

Snin
01-31-2014, 12:20 PM
tight..alergicd to the new woolen hat ?

Pat Vegas
01-31-2014, 12:21 PM

Pat Vegas
01-31-2014, 12:24 PM
Better f**king be.

Snin
01-31-2014, 12:24 PM

Snin
01-31-2014, 12:28 PM
in ear and lie with head on side for few min..then let it come out..then pour in capful of olive oil with head on side..leave head on side for good few min then let it flow out natural..seemed to kill most things ..also sometimes vinegar..nothing worse than ear pain, once put straightnede coat hanger hook with cotton wool on end in ear was in so much damn pain i just wanted to cut it off/mutilate it