PDA

View Full Version : Some of the racist abuse Stan Collymore gets on Twitter is astonishing

Brentwood
01-22-2014, 09:55 AM
the strangest thing is that some people posting it use their real name, real photo, sometimes include their employer in their profile etc

I'm not sure that Twitter are in any way responsible for the content of the messages though, as he suggests they should be. They can't be expected to manually moderate all tweets, any more than Google can manually moderate all gmail emails, or Railtrack are responsible for someone spraying obscene graffiti on a train station wall

Classic Jorge
01-22-2014, 10:00 AM
He considerably dumbed down his five live won, frankly I didnt think anybody could dumb the first interview down but stan really delivered.

Some of the abuse was shocking but, given he's a noted woman-beater and calamity prone dogger (who is so stupid he went dogging with personalised number plates) I'm not sure what else he expects.

It's weird though, I'm all for free speech but I'm not sure some people deserve it.

The Tony
01-22-2014, 10:04 AM
Troller trolling the trollers. He knows full well what he's doing. same as Piers Morgan. If you can't take it then don't dish it out......crying to Twitter and the police is pretty laughable.

Snin
01-22-2014, 10:10 AM
to at least see if its basically racist or potentially insulting and not show it until its been verified. these huge bloody crap things supposedly worth billions like twitter and FB SHOULD be held more responsible and have to spend money on basic text, people , comment vetting and analyisis etc

Luis Anaconda
01-22-2014, 10:12 AM
snin's messages reduced from 8875 to 3

7evens
01-22-2014, 10:12 AM
to realise what a boorish, gobshyte he can be.
Huge long uninterruptable monologues of self opinionated garbage.
Worse still,the Black country accent makes him sound as if he's delivering these diatribes with a tennis ball in his mouth.
He obviously doesn't deserve these levels of twitter abuse but I think somewhere close to these thresholds should be positively encouraged.

Classic Jorge
01-22-2014, 10:13 AM
Presumably, given the content of most of your posts on here, you are joking, right?

Snin
01-22-2014, 10:13 AM
making platform..its not like graffiti or standing at speakers corner..its inside a very controlled money making environment and twitter SHOULD be held responsible , its not some black hole of responsibility..servers , DNS, the web is not some big free thing like a park..its a paid for network of tech equip and sooner people wake up and see that the better imo

Classic Jorge
01-22-2014, 10:16 AM
Those pretty major inaccuracies aside, I dont understand how your proposed model would even work, let alone succeed.

Snin
close things down quickly..i fully expect my posts on here to be stopped by doctor hat if too near bone..why should chris + worry about legal action but not twitter ? the net and web is not free jorge..its run by big money corporations at end of day..all these big servers and networks arent from some big free god in the sky...it is used to track you, sell to you and other devious means..best thing is switch it off and use tin cans and get back to the woods mate..armgaddeonm

Pat Vegas
invest any time or effort in hating others so much. Much better things to get worked up about or enjoy in life. Rather than worrying about somebodies skin colour.

Though I did get upset playing Street fighter once and said something bad when Dhalsim beat me.

Snin
01-22-2014, 10:17 AM
its fair enough and ive no problem with it ( plus i think twitter is full of cnuts and dont use it but hey ho :) )

Ashberto
01-22-2014, 10:18 AM

Snin
01-22-2014, 10:18 AM
a website chap..however you hipsters may drool..its a big fecking load of tech, servers and web dev browsers and apps..its a fecking website you tart

Classic Jorge
01-22-2014, 10:19 AM
Just out of interest, do you have any idea about the volume of tweets being sent and just how ridiculous the concept of a hive of censorious elves would be?

Snin
01-22-2014, 10:19 AM

Brentwood
01-22-2014, 10:20 AM
content with a decent level of accuracy. Even ebay can't do it, and that is the single biggest risk to their entire business model (people losing confidence due to bad experiences, fraud etc)

How can they be expected to moderate hundreds of thousands of (multi-language) messages per second, especially when they don't even turn a profit? Should they just ban all messages containing certain words like the N word? That stifles any debate about Suarez, John Terry etc

Classic Jorge
01-22-2014, 10:21 AM
Is this one of those moments when people pull you up on your ridicules opinions and you get angrier and angrier trying to justify a poorly thought out statement you made on something you have little or no knowledge about?

I mean, if it's won of those then cool....

Snin
01-22-2014, 10:21 AM
its jsut thats the basic principle should be the same..its someones company, its putting things in public..if they cant work it then shut the fecker down..it does not even make money so its a crap business anyway ...id love it if it f**ked off

Snin
01-22-2014, 10:23 AM
feck off

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat

Classic Jorge

Ashberto
Or maybe the entire universe has changed, and this new Snin is just the first symptom. Maybe something else is different, such as LA not being teetotal or Pope Jorge is not a Windows evangelist. :sherlock:

Snin
01-22-2014, 10:24 AM

Classic Jorge
01-22-2014, 10:25 AM
what is it you do "in IT"?

Snin
01-22-2014, 10:25 AM

Classic Jorge
01-22-2014, 10:27 AM
...is on the web.

And this is a website only viewable on a browser made by the US Government.

Brentwood
and her boyfriend finds out and emails me saying he'll break my legs next time he sees me, is google (gmail) in any way responsible for that?

If someone stands on the street shouting racist abuse at passers by, do we close the street and prosecute the council?

All Twitter can be expected to do is track IPs, pass data onto police and let them deal with it. The main issue is that police aren't equipped to handle digital crimes. They don't even have enough police to investigate all of the people they know have indecent images on their PC - they have to prioritise and only go after the worst offenders

Snin
i did Computing Information Systems degree at birmingham,have worked on basic help desk level then onto media then IT sales in software, have Sales managed with some project manage in website design and software development but mainly sales in software..nothing earth shattering but im not clueless thanks

Classic Jorge
01-22-2014, 10:28 AM

Snin
01-22-2014, 10:28 AM
messages, for public ones put across the whole community then I think they have a lot more responsibility

Snin
01-22-2014, 10:30 AM
for public messages broadcast worldwide..its a basic fair principle and i dont see why everyone is getting so over excited about it tbh

Snin
01-22-2014, 10:31 AM
if it does not control itself to some degree

Brentwood
01-22-2014, 10:32 AM
If I subscribe to Tesco and The Sun's RSS feeds, I expect them to be responsible for the content, not my Chrome browser which contains the RSS reader, which receives the RSS messages

Classic Jorge
01-22-2014, 10:34 AM
How long do you think these censors, with their fairly in-depth knowledge of defamation, libel and inflammatory language laws in every country, would take to approve these messages?

Fair enough, pass info on to relevant police if crimes have been committed but seriously, it's a mad idea.

Snin
01-22-2014, 10:34 AM
across multiple applications etc and covers feeds and PM's etc .. I know but its a business which broadcasts worldwide and these 'feeds' people register to be on it and are then used eventuaqlly to try and target things too and make money so they are customers putting messages up on the overall public broadcasting area..so some responsibility for these public messages should be accepted..thats all

Snin
01-22-2014, 10:35 AM

Classic Jorge
01-22-2014, 10:38 AM
People statistically have more facebook friends than twitter followers.

Also, the amount of vile **** I see posted on facebook far, far outweighs what I do on Twitter.

I mean, if you had a twitter account you may very well have a different opinion, or failing that a slightly more informed one.

Snin
01-22-2014, 10:39 AM
Weibo the china version of twitter is I'm sure pretty damn good at scanning messages..so unfortunately unless co's like twitter spend some fahkin money coming uup with ideas to at least show some responsibility then we will end up like china..i just think twitter as a business trying to make money cant just ignore it and try and pull the bull****e free speech argument which it then breaks if someone puts up something it actually cares about ( or if NSA get heavy on them)

Classic Jorge
01-22-2014, 10:40 AM

Snin
01-22-2014, 10:40 AM
ill try and actually use it for few weeks and see how i feel then..now better crack on with work.. have a nice day

Snin
01-22-2014, 10:42 AM
why all the change ?? WHY!!? :cry: :cry: ive had enough..i want to get off in 1989