PDA

View Full Version : Why Wenger will never credit Bould's input

NOT Nicosia. Now banned.
01-18-2014, 12:26 PM
Quote:

Mainly guesswork on my part, but I think Steve Bould has helped change the team for the positive.

I was told three seasons ago by a former player, that Wenger does not give his assistant coaches much time to work with the players.

Training time is short but physically intense.

I think Bould was very close to handing in his notice during last season, frustrated that he could not impart his wisdom to the team, with reference to defending and team shape, organisation and keeping a cool head under pressure. He was not given the time to do so.

My guess is Bould told Wenger over the summer that if he was to continue in his coaching and assistant manager job it was to be on his terms. Wenger knew that a Bould resignation after one season would look very bad. And I think Bould held little back in the way of constructive criticism on what his role should be, and how the team could improve.

Wenger took note, and allowed Bould more time at London Colney.

Myles says:

Q: What took him so long?

A: Obsession.

Wenger sees Arsenal as a vehicle for his ideas.

He always has done. He wanted to prove a point by growing his own team, so he could claim 100% ownership of his team's success

But he can't teach defence,or set-pieces, and wouldn't know where to start.

He reached a crossroads, Quartz, a point in the road where he had a choice: compromise or leave

Here is what I heard last season when the Bould-Wenger body language was frigid.

Bould's best and smartest mate is Alan Smith.

When Smudger sent his kids to private school, Bould did the same.

Without those high and ongoing school fees, Bould might have walked last season.

I don't know what school his kids attend but I do know that St Pauls is more expensive than Oxford University.

Mainly, dictators don't listen.

Most dictators call all the shots and terrify those who work under them.

If Arsenal win the title, Bould will be given no credit.

So Arsene Wenger is a tall man but not a big man.

A genuine big man, a really great man, would make everyone feel great and share the credit.

Sir Alex credited Kiddo, Steve, Carlos Queiroz, Phelan, Rene - all his assistants.

http://www.arsenalnewsreview.co.uk/index.php/news/3821/30/Wh y-Wenger-will-never-credit-Bould-s-input (http://www.arsenalnewsreview.co.uk/index.php/news/3821/30/Why-Wenger-will-never-credit-Bould-s-input)