PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear. Now a ship that rescued the global warming hippies is stuck in the ice!

Chief Arrowhead
01-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Free the ship! turn those coal-fueled power plants on full bore!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/antarctica/1054869 0/Antarctic-rescue-ship-now-stuck-in-ice.html (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/antarctica/10548690/Antarctic-rescue-ship-now-stuck-in-ice.html)

Ashberto
01-03-2014, 05:53 PM
into the sea, where the extra water has meant more ice?

I'm not sure how this stuff works tbh, but as AWIMB is a bit low-staffed for hippies atm I thought I'd try and fill in for the sake of discussion.

Though I see that there is more ice in the artic as well atm. Presumably this has got something to do with the thermometers being in the wrong place which is why the records say that things have stopped warming up. Or something.

David Pleat AHADF (Royal Welsher and monkey lover)
01-03-2014, 06:00 PM
signed up as a sattelite US state.

Chief Arrowhead
01-03-2014, 06:04 PM
getting irretrievably stuck in the ice gets my #1 Ironic Story for 2013.

I have no problem with the study of climate science, and I would even concede the temperatures have warmed. I heavily dispute that man could have any impact on it to any measurable degree, nor that the solutions they propose that would result in the destruction of Western civilization are necessary. Why to every problem they concoct is the answer "more money" and government tightening its fist over our throats?

Now it's just become bad science not even worthy of the name. The way it's supposed to work is that a scientist proposes a theory, then others attempt to disprove said theory. If it can be shown to be in error EVEN ONCE the theory is disproved. Now that is has been disproved they are fudging the data, etc.

those guys weren't down there for science, they were down there to attempt to whip up hysteria. Maybe find a drowning polar bear or two.

JohnnyPuma
01-03-2014, 06:16 PM
This means that what the scientists are observing in "climate change" are averages in temperatures, rain etc across the entire globe over time.

In some places it will be warm one year, colder another year, little rain one year, more the next. There are also indications that some places could have lower average temperatures than today, even though the average global temperature could rise.

The idea that climate change means that it will never be cold again anywhere is a gross oversimplification. I hear people making the point all the time that "Global warming can't be real because there's ice on the ground and I'm freezing". Climate is such a complicated issue that very few of us "non-scientists" are able to understand fully.

I'm not a scientist.
But for some reason I trust a scientist with a Ph.D who have studied the these issues for 10+ years more than my average taxi driver on the issue.

Snin
01-03-2014, 09:20 PM
And he has been there a lot ! Said the place is colder and thicker than he had ever seen