PDA

View Full Version : i liked avb ...yes he was inexperienced in his dealings with ppl but

plastic james
12-17-2013, 05:29 PM
he was their most serious manager for years.

but one thing i never understood was his high line defence, he had the same problem last season, every time they were put on pressure, they conceded loads of goals.

wenger experimented with the high line for a couple of seasons and it was disastrous.

it works for barcelona because spanish teams play slow build up from the back, and if you squeeze them and move your whole team up, you can win the ball near their goal and attack them.

this isnt successful in england because teams kick the ball up and chase it, meaning they get behind you when you push up and if they have a decent striker they will punish you.

it took wenger a while to get it, but avb never got there, the point of gallas-toure was to have 2 quick defenders that push up, but we became more solid when we played a more commanding defender like martesacker and moved our defence back, suddenly the long balls english teams throw at us was less effective againts us

.i remember the days when teams like sunderland, stoke, newcastle,, bolton, etc, had 2 or 3 shots against us and scored 2 or 3 times either from a header or a long ball past our defence.

Harry Balls
12-17-2013, 05:45 PM
I'd say he looks too philosophical to manage a team like Spurs in the blood and thunder that is the Premier League. We've cornered the market in that type of manager, and Wenger's a one-off so it won't work that way for others.

We've seen with Ramsey this season that you only need one talented guy to hit a purple patch of form to be challenging for honours, Spurs had it with Bale, so AVB had a honeymoon season.

Bottom line, I have more respect for managers like Tony Pulis than I do people like AVB, as he is able to perform with f**k all budget, very little talent, and accused of playing anti-football. I hate him, but he's obviously a good manager for premier league teams that are not in the top tier. Palace love him right now, coz there's one thing worse than playing long-ball, 10-men behind the ball, boring football, and that's not being in the Premier League.

redgunamo
12-17-2013, 06:12 PM

plastic james
12-17-2013, 06:14 PM
i think we need a bit more of realism in approach as well.

like i said, the reason sh.te teams in this league dont hurt us anymore is because of our defensive restructure. thats why i cannot see us crumble this year like some of these know nothing pundits predict, they haven't understood the reason for our previous inconsistency and why we're consistent now.

having said that we're still too open against the big teams, wenger needs to find away for us to be a more tight unit in the big games.

of course we don't need to win the big games to win the league, but it would sure help, further on, winning the big games gives us a better chance in the CL and would take us up another level as a team.