PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here uses WD TV Play media player? and if so .....

Nicosia Gooner
12-15-2013, 08:35 AM
can you access Netfix in the UK? The online summary gives the impression that it is only available in US and Canada.

Billy Goat Sverige
12-15-2013, 09:16 AM
Some of the apps will be region restricted though. Like Hulu, that's not available in england.

Nicosia Gooner
12-15-2013, 09:23 AM

Billy Goat Sverige
12-15-2013, 09:28 AM
The reviews of it on amazon seem to suggest you get netflix and iplayer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00CL61A5A/ref=dp_to p_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00CL61A5A/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1)

Nicosia Gooner
12-15-2013, 09:46 AM
Enjoy popular movies, classics, and TV episodes instantly. Review your Netflix recommendations, search for content, and add items to your Netflix instant Queue - no PC is required. Access your Netflix unlimited membership and instantly watch TV episodes and movies on your big screen.*

*Netflix is available on WD TV Play in US and Canada only. Unlimited membership required. More information at www.netflix.com.

KACB
12-15-2013, 09:51 AM

Billy Goat Sverige
12-15-2013, 09:57 AM
probably have all that already.

KACB
12-15-2013, 09:58 AM

arse-nick (avid-analogue-addict)
12-15-2013, 10:00 AM
24 Jun 2013
By uncle barbar (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: WD TV Play Media Player (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly I must say that the physical set up of the wdtv Media Player is really simple. Plug a HDMI Cable into the back and the mains in and you are set to go. Plug in a Hard disk drive with all of your favourite films, music and pics on and they are at your disposal through the tv also.

The set up for internet connection wirelessly is simple also - it detects your router so just punch in your security password and you can get set immediately.

It has a number of pre-installed things like Youtube, BBC i-player, Netflix etc - all worked perfectly well. I had absolutely none of the problems any of the other reviewers have had with glitches with this. My TV is in the same room as my router so maybe this is the reason? I watched a number of programmes on i-player and a few videos on Youtube and there was no delay of the action or blockiness or anything untoward.

I then went onto my storage device which is a 1TB hard drive. I watched a few programmes on this - an mp4 file, a few mkv files and some avi files - viewed a few jpegs and listened to some mp3 tracks. No problem with any of these at all.

The only problem I did encounter was at first my device would not "pause" a film but this only happened on one particular film so it may be more to do with a slightly corrupt file than any problem with the device.

This is my third media player so I was interested to see how it rated in comparison. My last one did not have the wireless internet connection or the access to the apps (iPlayer etc) through the device so these are all bonuses to me (though I do have other ways to view all of these through my tv it's still a nice feature). I like the "front screen" - others I have used have just had a black background.

All in all a good device - it does what I want it to when I want it to. I've only been playing with it for a few days though and if I have any problems to report I will furnish you with an update.

Billy Goat Sverige
12-15-2013, 10:02 AM

arse-nick (avid-analogue-addict)
12-15-2013, 10:03 AM

Bergkamp's Brain
12-15-2013, 10:08 AM

Nicosia Gooner
12-15-2013, 10:09 AM