PDA

View Full Version : I wonder what ice hockey players think when football players complain about tough schedule

Guns 'n' Roses
12-03-2013, 10:13 AM
This is NY Rangers' schedule for December. :hehe:

http://www.awimb.com/legacy.php?t=getfile&id=2496&private=0

Berni
12-03-2013, 10:15 AM

Sir Charlie of Nicholas
12-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Aren't they all Canucks and other assorted northern tribes?

Guns 'n' Roses
12-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Hell, even the one Norwegian over there is called Zucarello.

Guns 'n' Roses
12-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Bandy - a sport invented in England when you had frost in the ground, can be likened to rugby.

In ice hockey everything is about getting forward, power, muscles, and once in the offensive zone you NEVER play the puck backwards.

Bandy is chess on ice, you try for an opening, and when it doesn't work the players pull back, regroup and try again. And attacks are very often similar to rugby, you storm forward but play the ball backwards to teammates behind you who come with great speed in a different direction.

The JBear
12-03-2013, 10:32 AM

Bergkamp's Brain
12-03-2013, 10:33 AM
I don't see the actual issue here.

Guns 'n' Roses
12-03-2013, 10:35 AM

Guns 'n' Roses
12-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Which means they don't get much time on the bench either. It's called interval training. :-)

And of course, there's the issue with the ridiculous amount of little girls playing football in the men's leagues across the world. Ice hockey players tend to be of the John Hartson category.

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-17672-uV5Q.jpeg

Pat Vegas
12-03-2013, 10:52 AM
reason for the continuous changes as there is no way to keep up the pace for longer periods.

It would be like a footballer sprinting full speed for a minute every few minutes.

For me no need to compare the 2 sports. as they are different. the have different fitness requirements. But I will say an 82 game schedule plus a possible playoff games is very tough and you also have to consider the injuries and wear and tear of a sport where physical contact is part of the game. Even if they are wearing pads.

Guns 'n' Roses
12-03-2013, 10:55 AM
The pace, power, strength, speed, balance and coordination. As you say, it's full blast sprint for 90 seconds and then rest for 3 minutes.

Pat Vegas
12-03-2013, 11:01 AM
To watch a game on tv without knowing anything about it, it seems very very boring.
I even get bored of it. Far to many stoppages. It's hard for people to follow the puck though that comes naturally after a while. The rules are bit unusual.

I went to see the Rangers in February and my girlfriend was bored ****less. Though not a bad game they won 5-1. It's even more boring at the arena when the game is televised as you have all the TV breaks where they just blast music to keep you entertained.

Guns 'n' Roses
12-03-2013, 11:11 AM
Nothing is fun when one doesn't know the game and the rules well. Baseball also seems terribly boring to me. So did cricket until I learnt the rules.