PDA

View Full Version : I've been using my mac for a few months now and here is my honest review.

Pat Vegas
11-08-2013, 02:09 PM
I am not a 'apple' drone etc. As I even moved away from the iPhone last year.

But so far this is what I like.

I have a macbook pro with retina display I will compare it to my windows laptop I had. I am new to mac I haven't used one since the old Apple Macintosh days.

1) It starts up instantly and closes down instantly. My laptop which was quite a set up used to take 5 minutes to get up and running (this was using windows 7) Then when I shut it down you'd get all those updates to go through.

2) I like the menu bar. It makes working on multiple things very easy.

3) I like the scroll commands on the touch pad. Browsing the net is rather easy with this feature. in fact it's annoying when I go to work and have to use the mouse to scroll down the page. makes going back and forwards between pages easy too.

4) the display. The retina display is top *******s. Especially if I am watching netflix or something. also the sound quality is great too.

5) it's silent as it's got a flash drive. Get's a bit warm at times but it's fine. Also I like the battery life.

Dislikes
I actually prefer windows folders to the finder on apple. I find it easier to find the things I want on windows rather than the on the mac. This might be just a case of getting used to it.

The hard drive is not very big. I wasn't going to spend another £300-400 for a bigger hard drive.

A lot of the features I have mentioned are now available on windows machines / or were previously available on windows machine but I like the mac it's a solid piece of kit. And I enjoy using photoshop on it. I can open plenty of images at once and it all runs smoothly. If I was working on multiple pics on windows at the same time it would start to slow down.

PSRB
11-08-2013, 02:17 PM

Billy Goat Sverige
11-08-2013, 02:20 PM

Pat Vegas
11-08-2013, 02:22 PM
I don't know why. I've tried all the different views. I think just getting used to it.

Billy Goat Sverige
11-08-2013, 02:26 PM

Pat Vegas
11-08-2013, 02:31 PM
photos from my new york trip. I am essentially a Japanese tourist.

Ashberto
11-08-2013, 02:35 PM
... Can I use a right mouse button? I like right mouse buttons. And mouse scroll wheels.

Billy Goat Sverige
11-08-2013, 02:37 PM
want it to. If you want a scroll wheel you would have to use a USB mouse as you would on a PC. Or you can scroll using the two finger gesture on the trackpad.

http://media.macbookjunkie.com/macbook-trackpad-two-fingers-scroll/disable_two_fingers_scroll.gif

Pat Vegas
11-08-2013, 02:38 PM
on the pad 2 fingers down acts like the scroll down

3 fingers sideways goes from screen to screen
bit like alt+tab but better

Classic Jorge
11-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Without the added aesthetic ****ness of actually having them too

Billy Goat Sverige
11-08-2013, 02:40 PM
a right click on a mouse

Pat Vegas
11-08-2013, 02:42 PM

Billy Goat Sverige
11-08-2013, 02:43 PM

Ashberto
11-08-2013, 02:45 PM
that depend on what people are used to. Microsoft have forgotten this with their f**king around with their own interfaces.

Ashberto
11-08-2013, 02:49 PM
One of my fears is that you have to learn it off other hipsters. I have my doubts about how intuitive it is. There's nothing intuitive about the palava needed to close an app on an iPhone.

Classic Jorge
11-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Therefore there's no dissonance between the two.

Also, as iOS has shown, they dont just lead the field in UE and UX, they are constantly reinventing it. Gesture controls like pinches and swipe to scroll were new but are completely intuitive now, and copied across the board.

Surely you have to admit, just from a comparative of the two, that macs are aesthetically generally light years ahead of whatever PCs or Samsungs (in the phablet sense) are doing.

I'm not actually that much of an apple fan boy but I really hate using windows or android stuff, at best it feels like a knock off, moody, snyde version of a decent OS and at worst it's a laggy, unresponsive, counterintuitive mess.

Billy Goat Sverige
11-08-2013, 02:54 PM
hover over the settings. And it comes with a manual.

Classic Jorge
11-08-2013, 02:54 PM
http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

Also, isnt closing an app just a case of pressing the one button? Y'know, that big one on the front

Ashberto
11-08-2013, 03:03 PM

Billy Goat Sverige
11-08-2013, 03:07 PM

Classic Jorge
11-08-2013, 03:10 PM