PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me being plagued by the f**king advert on the left?

Uttoxeter Gun
11-03-2013, 05:18 PM

Monty91
11-03-2013, 05:22 PM

Uttoxeter Gun
11-03-2013, 05:47 PM
I always said I would rather him to make us competitive again by signing proper players instead of relying kids, which he finally started to do following RvP's departure.

Only the six years wasted.

Kev the Gooner
11-03-2013, 05:52 PM

Nicosia Gooner
11-03-2013, 05:52 PM
we have moved to a new stadium and the consequent impact on the finances; if you can't see that then its because you prefer not.

Monty91
11-03-2013, 05:59 PM
and was "destroying" the club.

Who are these "proper players" to whom you refer? Ozil, presumably? Who else? Do you truthfully think Wenger has had the option to buy a player like him until now, and simply refused out of stubborness, or has the financial landscape at the club now improved?

Presumably one of the "kids" you say he relied on is Aaron Ramsey. Do you consider the years he remained patient with him whilst fans like you wrote him off to have been 'wasted'?

Uttoxeter Gun
11-03-2013, 06:10 PM
You are using words like "destroy" in quotes which I doubt were ever used by me.

I said when RvP left, which was a year before Ozil arrived. What was it, five players signed on deadline day? Mertesacker etc.

I have NEVER said one word against Ramsey who looked a high-quality player before he was broken at Stoke. Same with Diaby many years ago now at Sunderland. They needed time to recover and get a full pre-season under their belts before any criticism coul be levelled at them. We'll probably never see Diaby reach the potential he once showed which is a great shame for the lad. Thankfully Ramsey has come through.

Anyway Monty, I believe any comments I've made re Wenger in the past were fully justified. They are (were) my opinions whether you agree with them or not.

Bergkamp's Brain
11-03-2013, 06:10 PM

Mc Gooner
11-03-2013, 06:11 PM
How it's run

How it functions

How it tolerates c**ts

Uttoxeter Gun
11-03-2013, 06:12 PM
f**king nuisance.

Monty91
11-03-2013, 06:21 PM
You have been absolutely clear in tour belief that he's lost the plot and the only salvageable way we can rise again is if he leaves.

Suddenly we sign one player - a player that anyone with a brain knows has been beyond our means until now - and you do a complete U-turn and want Wenger to stay. Do you not realise how stupid that makes you look?

What does it say about your judgement of the man and your ability to view his transfer policy of recent years in the context of the club's financial state?

I ask again, do you truthfully believe Wenger has been able to buy a player like him until now, and simply refused out of stubborness, or has the financial landscape at the club now improved?

And whilst we're on the subject, how high up the list of priorities did you place an attacking midfielder this summer? I only ask because the overwhelming majority of Wenger haters seemed to think that virtually every other position needed strengthening. Indeed, that Wenger was negligent in not doing so.
How would you have reacted if you'd been told he'd only sign a player in his position and a defensive midfielder on a free?

Uttoxeter Gun
11-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Nic, for me it was never about making the mega-signings.

Clearly the stadium was going to restrict our buying power, but for me some investment in three or four more established players over the last five years or so would probably have kept the likes of Fabregas and van Perise on board, and given the team that little bit more experience and know-how that might well have brought in a trophy or two.

In my opinion Arsene relied too heavily on young players and the 'experiment' went on too long. Thankfully things have changed over the last two summers even though the signings have been left until the last minute.

ITSUPFORGRABSNOW
11-03-2013, 06:27 PM

Uttoxeter Gun
11-03-2013, 06:30 PM

The JBear
11-03-2013, 06:30 PM

Monty91
11-03-2013, 06:35 PM
We only won 6 out of our next 7 league games

Nicosia Gooner
11-03-2013, 06:51 PM
allowed as our fans don't like them

'Neg
11-03-2013, 06:54 PM
and you.

Ashberto
11-03-2013, 06:58 PM
AW would have liked to have signed him years ago, but we didn't have the money. Same with Ronaldo, when Man Utd could pay more.

Uttoxeter Gun
11-03-2013, 07:05 PM
Signing players that late in the day, which is after our season has started, can't help a player settle in a new city/country and concentrate on playing.

Sometimes, of course, it's out of a club's hands if the selling club is waiting on a player to arrive - as was the case with Real (Bale) and Ozil this summer.

Uttoxeter Gun
11-03-2013, 07:07 PM

David Pleat AHADF (Royal Welsher and monkey lover)
11-03-2013, 07:08 PM

Nicosia Gooner
11-03-2013, 07:14 PM
Ozil's last minute buy so why criticise the club for it? You should be praising the club instead for doing all their homework in the previous week and being patient until Real said GO.

We are all fans and of course I understand your frustration but you should look at the reasons why the club isn't doing what you want them to do; do you think they are doing it to upset the club or simply that they have the money but don't want to spend it?

Mc Gooner
11-03-2013, 07:41 PM

eastgermanautos
11-03-2013, 07:44 PM

Uttoxeter Gun
11-03-2013, 08:19 PM
size of their "warchest" for quite some time without spending much of it.

I wasn't even complaining about leaving stuff to the last minute - that was just a throw-away comment.

As I have always said, my frustration with the club (and Arsene) over the last 5/6/7 years was the policy of relying on young players and trying to build world-beating youth team. The policy has changed, I am happy with that and I'm sure everyone else is.

Bergkamp's Brain
11-03-2013, 08:45 PM

Nicosia Gooner
11-03-2013, 08:49 PM

Monty91
11-03-2013, 09:28 PM
And would you agree that sometimes buying unestablished players ends up working out better? For example, most would agree that Giroud, a relative unknown outside France when we bought him, has been more successful than 80-cap Podolski?

Also, Liverpool, Spurs and others have consistently spent more money than us on 'established' players, and have failed to finish above us. Why are you so sure that by us doing so would have have fared any better?

LDB.
11-04-2013, 09:18 AM
We've had tens of millions sitting in the bank for some time now and it's not like these fees are paid all upfront, we could have easily accomodated a large transfer fee or two staggered over a few years.

The thing that was holding us back was our massively bloated wage bill which did a great job of setting up **** like Denilson for life but not so great in allowing us the space to add world class players to it. For many years we sacrificed competing at the top end in favour of overpaying for potential.

LDB.
11-04-2013, 09:21 AM
time at Arsenal. Set us back years that did.