PDA

View Full Version : New won for me...French racecourse closed after 2 races because the champagne ran out!

The Tony
10-22-2013, 11:44 AM
French racing authorities came under fire yesterday as the meeting at Puissance parc was forced to abandon after the 2nd race, due to the supply of Champagne running out in the owners and trainers bar.

The President of the FRA was quoted as saying, "We took the decision to abandon due to health and safety concerns. We cannot have a situacion where nervous trainers and owners are not able to have a glass of Champagne (pr. sham pan ya). There is a very real risk of heart attack or issues relating to a cute angina"

Whilst beer and wine flowed freely in "bar cheval", bar manager Pierre Le Maison, whose wife is English, noticed he was down to his last 15 bottles of Champagne some time after the first race. "I could see it was going to happen", he said. We had some very well-heeled types in, which always puts pressure on our supplies. I expected a delivery today but the driver is notoriously unreliable. Last week we found him slumped on the floor of a brasserie with an empty bottle of Champers in each hand".

The lack of Champagne inevitably led to several kerfuffles. In one ugly incident, an English racehorse owner was heard demanding a Cava or Bucks fizz alternative, upon which he was swiftly evicted by two burly looking stewards.

British trainer N.E. Moore who was due to saddle two horses in the last race said, "We came with two runners and Arfur Chance. It's hugely disappointing as I think Arfur was hoping to back them both".

There was a mixed reaction to the closure with many punters expressing their outrage. One man who had travelled 50 miles to attend said, "Not all of us drink Champagne. I am quite happy with a glass of wine with dinner so why should they close?"

Local French trainer, Madame Loin Stakes (pr.Lou-anne Star kes) remarked, "It's very important for us at such a prestigious meeting to have access to Champagne. We saw the same thing happen at your Bath racecourse earlier in the week when the toilets became blocked. This is obviously more serious and while it's an inconvenience to everyone that has attended, the horses don't seem to mind".

French racing authorities have promised free entry to the next meeting at Puissance Parc for anyone presenting a valid ticket from yesterday's racing.

Billy Goat Sverige
10-22-2013, 11:50 AM
going on Cirrus.