PDA

View Full Version : Rub chin 'Union Jack' Rub chin

One Wilf Copping
10-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Jack should shut up - no one wants to hear the average footballer's opinion on anything other than how many goals they're going to put past Spurs/Chelsea/United.

The more quotes I see though, the more there seems some UKIP (at best) subtext to some of his opinions.

He's still young, but he could drop these kind of comments: "We are English. We tackle hard, are tough on the pitch and are hard to beat. We have great characters. You think of Spain and you think technical but you think of England and you think they are brave and they tackle hard. We have to remember that."

The only comment here today that resonated with me was from Jorge:

Pöpe Jörge wrote on Wed, 09 October 2013 12:24

If anything, this whole thing just serves to highlight how stupid the idea of nationalities are in this modern age of fluid populations.

This is the crux of the matter. Nationality as a concept nowadays is increasingly meaningless and Jack's opinions reflect a different attitude. This is sport, not war, and if a player is eligible or able within the rules to play then that's the end of it...

Anyone's opinions one way or another is irrelevant. If the rules say someone can play, that's it.

In the past, footballing nationalities were much more fluid - even though the world had recently been at war over national boundaries. There was little fuss over di Stéfano playing for Argentina, Colombia AND Spain (!) or Puskás for Hungary and Spain or even a few Wales players that also played for England.

FIFA later tidied up these anomalies, but this is a game, not some dubious test of national or racial purity... Jack should just worry about playing consistently and duck these kind of questions.

Nicosia Gooner
10-09-2013, 06:15 PM
We have competitions between countries, countries represented by their people, not people they have adopted because of their special talent.

How proud do there adopted people feel when the national anthem is played pre-match?

Ashberto
10-09-2013, 06:28 PM
The point being that international football f**ks up club football and that FIFA shouldn't be controlling the sport.

I also think that the current alternative to nationalism is not internationalism, as the progressives imagined it long ago (as a international solidarity of workers) but a supranationalism imposed from above that can be just as oppressive and dangerous as nationalism.

As I think someone pointed out earlier, there's an irony in adopting a lofty political position against supporting or playing for one's country (however that is defined) while many of us support clubs for parochial reasons of geography or family. Reasons, I might add, that are certainly not worse than supporting a team just because they win all the time.

If it's ok to support your local team at club level, then why not support it at international level? Perhaps in other sports international competition is the pinnacle (eg cricket) but not in football.

One Wilf Copping
10-09-2013, 06:29 PM
Residency after x number of years then that's fine to me.

I'm sure Mo Farrah identifies with Britain even though he isn't born here. I think there are other ways of identifying with a country without being born there.

The British and the English in particular have always been a mongrel breed anyway. Should anyone of Norman origin be barred or Scottish or Irish? Or Jewish or Huguenot? Or Jamaican?

http://www.192.com/info/news/origins-england-team/

If Adnan Januzaj stays in England, believes in this country and earns a passport at some point then he IS eligible.

Whether he was born here, eats fish and chips and gets musty-eyed about the Queen Mum is irrelevant.

Nicosia Gooner
10-09-2013, 06:32 PM
than his parents country

The guy in question has only been here for 2 years

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
10-09-2013, 06:38 PM

One Wilf Copping
10-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Good luck to him, he'd be mad to turn down Belgium though from a footballing perspective.

Januzaj more than anyone probably has a flexible attitude to nationality. He could play for Belgium, Serbia or England in the future and is ethnic Albanian, while Kosovo, who he could also play for, doesn't even have a FIFA-affiliated team...

Ashberto
10-09-2013, 06:41 PM
and just stepping off the Eurostar.

I don't know how long it took my German and French ancestors to consider themselves English/British but I think Nic's comment about Mo is right.

Anyway, the real question is "What exactly is the point of international football?" Perhaps it's nice for people who aren't actually interested in football to get into it now and again, and perhaps for fans of lower league clubs who think that England might actually win something. :shrug:

Ashberto
10-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Uninformed, perhaps, although that might be just as demeaning.

One Wilf Copping
10-09-2013, 06:45 PM
...if you have a good team. :hehe:

And of búgger all importance if you don't.

The Spanish or the French never had much interest in international football until they thought they might win the World Cup and then it was the usual 'Pride and Symbol of the Nation' snoozefest.

Mc Gooner
10-09-2013, 06:47 PM

Nicosia Gooner
10-09-2013, 06:55 PM

Ashberto
10-09-2013, 06:58 PM
http://www.awimb.com/images/smiley_icons/ohwell.gif

Ashberto
10-09-2013, 07:01 PM
but he's not as stupid as he pretends. ;-)

Mc Gooner
10-09-2013, 07:02 PM
:hehe:

Nicosia Gooner
10-09-2013, 07:05 PM

Luis Anaconda
10-09-2013, 07:21 PM

Classic Jorge
10-09-2013, 07:28 PM

Nicosia Gooner
10-09-2013, 07:30 PM

Classic Jorge
10-09-2013, 07:30 PM
I think the main point is the lad is barely 20. He just needs to learn some straight bats.

Luis Anaconda
10-09-2013, 07:33 PM
not a lot of people know that :caine:

Surprised it isn't mentioned more as it sort of kills the English/non English debate

Nicosia Gooner
10-09-2013, 07:35 PM
:hehe:

:Iamrunningoutofhere: :wave:

arse-nick (avid-analogue-addict)
10-09-2013, 07:41 PM