PDA

View Full Version : Fingers crossed Stuart Pearce never becomes a football manager again, can't stand the cnut

Nicosia Gooner
09-11-2013, 08:34 AM
Former England Under-21 boss Pearce criticises Jones, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Bale

By Andrew Tuft
Wednesday 11 September 2013
Former England Under-21 manager Stuart Pearce has criticised Phil Jones, the Manchester United defender, and Arsenal forward Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain for not wanting to play for the youth team at this summer’s European Championships, the Daily Mirror has reported, and Gareth Bale, then of Tottenham Hotspur, for pulling out of the 2012 Olympic Games.

Pearce hit out at the pair, naming them as two of eight players eligible for the Under-21 side that did not want to play for the team as they were already full-fledged senior internationals. And Pearce, who was dismissed from his post after England struggled at the tournament, failing to get past the group stage, believes that until the country’s best young talent place more value on the Under-21s, success at that level will prove elusive.

“There were eight players with senior international caps who could have played for my Under-21s,” Pearce said. “Apathy played a big part of it - the Oxlade-Chamberlains of this world, the Phil Joneses, because they didn’t want to come.

“Once they go through the golden ivory towers of the seniors they don’t want to come and play with the Under-21s anymore. Until we solve that problem there will be no success,” said the former England international.

Pearce also took charge of the Great Britain team at the London Olympics in 2012 but faced similar problems, singling out Gareth Bale. “ I was going to put the squad out on the Friday,” Pearce explained. “On Thursday he rings me to say his back is not so good. But he plays his first game for Spurs pre-season the same day as we play our first Olympic game.”

Brentwood
09-11-2013, 08:36 AM

One Wilf Copping
09-11-2013, 08:43 AM

Steve Williams - gay for Mark Knopfler
09-11-2013, 09:19 AM
If players like Jones or Chamberlain for example played an active role in qualification and were fit then I think they should have been available to play. After all I would imagine it is the aim of the FA to try and win these tournaments so to go with the best available players makes sense.

Maravilloso Marvo
09-11-2013, 09:26 AM
they are a stepping stone to the main senior side. Once a player has completed that step and is a regular full international as Jones and Chamberlain are, they shouldn't be taken backwards a step.

09-11-2013, 09:32 AM
There probably is counter arguments regarding tournament experience etc but ultimately in my view it comes down to wanting to win the tournament and with that in mind a country or football team should pick their best players.

Based on your statement do you also believe that Gedion Zelalem or whatever his name is should now never go back to less than first team levels with us?

Maravilloso Marvo
09-11-2013, 09:34 AM
He was merely involved pre-season to gain some experience whilst the opportunity was there. Akin to playing in the Carling Cup.

Jones and Chamberlain are pretty well established in the main England team.

redgunamo
09-11-2013, 09:39 AM
and also use their success as another stick to beat English football with, if it suits us.

Some would argue that it is, in fact, this failure to take these junior tournaments seriously which has led to this situation where we've ended up with barely enough decent seniors to fill a squad, thereby forcing the England manager to raid the Juniors.

09-11-2013, 09:41 AM

Maravilloso Marvo
09-11-2013, 09:42 AM
But I am sure in there you will find better examples than Chamberlain and Jones for who should have been playing for the Under 21s.

09-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Simply wondered who they were as on the brief occasions I have seen England teams in the paper then side seems to be made up from the usual suspects.

Your point is valid with relation to Chamberlain and Jones, if they are established players then it is unlikely I would think that they both played an active role in U-21 qualification, which of course was my original point.

The counter argument then is a player who did contribute and gets called up to the seniors, thinks then the U-21 is below him perhaps. Not sure this is the case though.

Maravilloso Marvo
09-11-2013, 09:51 AM