PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know anything about the GAMEBOY ADVANCE SP? Is it any good?

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
09-08-2013, 03:04 PM
My wife's going out to India to finish filming this caste of nomadic blacksmiths who live in their bullock carts and they have 2 kids, 8 yr old boy and 6 yr old girl.

Seen a Gameboy Advance SP for £20 and you can buy games from £1 upwards.

So I was thinking of buying 10-15 games for them in the £1-2.50 region.

I reckon they'd rather have this than buying them just 4 or 5 games costing a fiver each.

The parents charge their mobile at a nearby phone shop, so I reckon the guy would charge the kids gameboy too. And it says it lasts 10-18 hours.

It's Rajasthan so there will be bright sunlight at times and, as I say, they have no leccy for lighting etc.

I imagine the games would be as good as a VIC20 which kept me totally happy between the ages of 10 and 13 when I got my C64.

Any games that would be good for the girl?

Just think it would be nice to give the kids a pressie, especially as hopefully we'll be filming the girl's engagement.

The marriage is arranged now, but they won't actually live together until they get to 18.

Would actually appreciate some help on this. (Fink of da kiddies, init?)

dismalswamp
09-09-2013, 10:31 AM

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
09-09-2013, 12:10 PM
So they have no electricity or light etc.

But I wanted to bring out a pressie for the two kids.

Given the family is skint (they've been making iron tools for centuries and travelling from village to village selling them but now people can but cheap plastic at markets) they wouldn't be able to afford any more games.

So I got 12 2nd hand yesterday for 18 quid + postage.

And looking on youtube they seem as good as the VIC20 games that kept me happy as a kid.

I just think it will make the kids (probably the 8 year old boy) happy when my wife gives them an unexpected gift.

If you live on the side of the road, don't go to school and have very little except love, a Gameboy will seem like an iPad or X-box, with any luck.

That's what I'm hoping anyway.

Got the GBA, charger and 12 games for about £45.