PDA

View Full Version : So predictable it's funny

LadyG -keeping the spirit of the unbeatables alive
09-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Durham: Ozil a great signing but Wenger has been stubborn over the years but has finally listened to what we've been saying for a long time, but its not enough. Needed a defender and a forward, and all they did is sign one player Ozil. Look at all the players they missed. Arsenal fans are happy, I' understand why they were happy but is it enough. They want to get back to just finishing above 5pur2 to actually competing. Blah blah blah

I'm paraphrasing but in essence he's said exactly what I said the anti Arsenal people would say.

The funny thing is, I remember when we were winning things, how the same Durham would say our squad is not big enough, what would we do if Henry got injured, no striker, blah blah blah,

Something's never change, which is why I no longer let it send my blood pressure through the roof.

Focus on the what is, rather than the what ifs, Learn to make the best of what you have rather than always looking outside for something better. Lets at least get a few games under our belts with the new players before we start panicking.

Jake
09-03-2013, 04:03 PM
I think any fan would be lying if they said Ozil and two free transfers is exactly what was 'necessary' this summer.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-03-2013, 04:05 PM
we last finished below them? 1985?

Jake
09-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Rather that the surrounding issue of our squad depth still remains (as many have said), even with little Muzzy Ozil.

nola
09-03-2013, 04:15 PM
I do think the most pressing squad need was a central defender, and would've loved to get a player like Sakho instead of Flamini.

That said, what Wenger really had to do this summer is prove that we're not a selling club, we're an elite club that attracts elite players. All summer, the main targets were meant to fill that need in the squad - and ultimately, Ozil does that. I call it an unequivocal success in addressing the squad's biggest need.

09-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Lets look logically at the dealings, what has he actually done?

He bought in two players on a free a defensive midfielder and a forward,
He bought in a creative midfielder
He bought in a goalkeeper on a season long loan. I bet with an option to buy.

What didn't he do?

He didn't bring in a defender

So the debate really is are the players he bought in the right players?

Everyone accepts Ozil is so that leaves

Can we manage with the defenders that we have, given that we could use Jenkinson or Sagna as emergency cover for Vermaelen, Per and Lauren ?

Does having Flamini in the middle add the sort of protection and support that our defenders have been crying out for?

Has Wenger done the right thing in keeping Bendtner as cover for Giroud and Podolski, and possibly behind Walcott, whilst Sanogo finds his feet in the PL, and until he can bring in the quality of forward that he wants?

It's too easy to just do the negative rant and moan bit just because, rather than actually look at what the options are and really knowing how it will work with the addition of the two key players.

Trixie Popsicle
09-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Durham still hates us. I can't recall a time when he has said anything positive about us (and that's even when went through the season unbeaten).

The bloke is a total pr@t.

Trixie Popsicle
09-03-2013, 04:27 PM

Camp Freddie
09-03-2013, 04:27 PM

Jake
09-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Arsene's actions in the transfer market say that much alone.

Especially when we look at our current injury situation and the alternative options should Giroud get injured!

09-03-2013, 04:41 PM

ITSUPFORGRABSNOW
09-03-2013, 04:54 PM

09-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Not the best analogy to use though.

The JBear
09-03-2013, 05:04 PM
Not that he's correct - it was always finish as high as possible.

09-03-2013, 05:07 PM
But I guess that's my point, he used to complain our squad was not big enough, what if an injury happened to Henry, one man team blah blah blah. He hasn't changed his tune. The thing is Wenger used his squad well, so we always had cover. Now we can argue that the quality of cover is not high,

Chief Arrowhead
09-03-2013, 05:30 PM
in other words, he is top, top quality!

redgunamo
09-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Jorge made the point yesterday too.