PDA

View Full Version : Why are us football supporters so fickle?

busbybabes1958
09-03-2013, 11:54 AM
I've read some angry posts from you gooners regarding Wenger and how the club is run for the past 4/5 seasons and some of the abuse I read was not warranted imo. I even posted a few times and told you to be careful in what you wished for. Then last night, boom!! all is forgiven when you sign Ozil?

I'll say this much: Arsenal football club are run very well financially and although you've had nearly a decade of frustration and dissapointments on the trophy front, I think you've still done well to qualify for the CL every year. Mnay of you I know would have swapped that with trophies, but I think you will now reap the rewards as a football club and trophies will come.

United on the other hand have been a success on the pitch, winning trophy after trophy, and falling in two CL finals to arguably the greatest club side of all time. However, financially we are being raped by owners who couldn't afford to buy our club in the first place and mortgaged us up to the hilt to do so. I fell out with a few mates in 05 when they refused to give any more money to the Glazers and stopped attending home matches up to this day.

FC United were formed and I hated them at the time and had numerous arguments with mates over their formation and what it stood for, but now I see things very clearly. The Glazer regime chickens are coming home to roost and I can see things getting very volatile around Old Trafford in the coming year if things don't improve.

The fact of the matter is that we have no money to spend, despite what people think. The net spend since the Glazers took over is an average 7/8 million per season and for a club that generates the kind of money we do that figure is a joke.

I know football in general has changed, but for an old timer like me who enjoyed the 70's and 80's I'd gladly take a few seasons of failure for the Glazers to f**k off and give us back our club.

I know you've had your problems with Usmanov and co vying for power at Arsenal, but at least you have a solid platform to build on. Your new stadium and a few frugal years of not spending could reap huge rewards in the long run and I wish you good luck in doing so.

We're all fickle no matter what we say and I'll say the same thing in May even if we win the league again, but United are going to hit a brick wall in the coming years and all hell will break loose at Old Trafford.

Like I've said, Good luck and as long as Liverpool or City don't dominate I'll live with that.

Signed: A very disgruntled football supporter.

LadyG -keeping the spirit of the unbeatables alive
09-03-2013, 11:55 AM

busbybabes1958
09-03-2013, 11:56 AM
:bow:

modd
09-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Fair enough to say not to go overboard on ozil but it hard not to be very exicted by the signing.

Man united are still a great club. Your badly owned by your club owners. You have a great history and are now trying to replace one of best managers ever who kept on winning for you. Won,t be easy but your still got a good team though and mostly good fan base.

I look forward to us and your club fighting out for trophies this season.

LadyG -keeping the spirit of the unbeatables alive
09-03-2013, 11:58 AM

modd
09-03-2013, 11:59 AM
fergie trusts woodward deep down

Lar d'Arse
09-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Football today being a Business?

Who knew?

What are your thoughts on the Herrera mess that transpired yesterday? Seems like something is missing from the full story there to me???

Dorset Gooner
09-03-2013, 12:03 PM
http://www.awimb.com/fudforum/index.php?t=tree&goto=3755 859&rid=66&S=79f29f2d5ab280247fd7dfe0290e0825 (http://www.awimb.com/fudforum/index.php?t=tree&goto=3755859&rid=66&S=79f29f2d5ab280247fd7dfe0290e0825)

Lar d'Arse
Glazers have been around for years and most of them Man Utd won trophies in. Still bought big name players to the club despite tighter purse strings, RVP being a large case in point only 12 months ago.

PSRB

Pat Vegas
09-03-2013, 12:04 PM

busbybabes1958
09-03-2013, 12:06 PM
My point was that not everything is about winning trophies. From my point of view United as a club is having the life sucked out of it by paying £50 million a year in interest charges and other fees. How can this be allowed to happen ffs?

It's like me buying Harrods with none of my own money.

The football bubble will burst one day and a few big clubs are going to fall with it. No club is safe, not even United from going bust.

Again, my point is that all the abuse I've seen directed at Arsenal football club by YOU and your fellow supporters over the past few seasons has been over the top imo. I know that you also have every right to critisize as you pay your entrance money every week, but try and see the bigger picture and enjoy what the ride brings.

Lar d'Arse
09-03-2013, 12:08 PM
glwtpimo

Mack
09-03-2013, 12:10 PM

'Neg
09-03-2013, 12:10 PM

busbybabes1958
09-03-2013, 12:11 PM
but you have to question the United party with the inept way they dealt with Herrera last night. Why wait to trigger a clause on the last day ffs?

Why try an negotiate on a buy-out clause that was non-negotiable?

Why turn up with not enough funds?

Why bid a joke 10 million for De rossi?

Why bid twice for an uninterested Fabregas?

Why pay 27.5 million for afro head when we could have triggered his clause last week for 4 million less?

Absolute f**king joke mate.

modd
09-03-2013, 12:12 PM
:hehe: :bow:

Supermac1976
09-03-2013, 12:14 PM

Jake
09-03-2013, 12:14 PM

modd
09-03-2013, 12:16 PM
and know it not be or of everything and think you should back team whether their winning all the time or not. I pointed out clubs like newcastle supported club for 40 years and not seen them win anything.

Sadly when your big club their a lot of glory hunters who if you don,t win anything for two years write off the club.

modd
09-03-2013, 12:18 PM
I am not one of those. I am very consistant in my support for the club win or lose.

modd
09-03-2013, 12:18 PM
to speak for everyone. :shrug:

modd
09-03-2013, 12:21 PM
class dorset :bow:

busbybabes1958
09-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Liverpool winning everything was a nightmare, but they were still my favourite days being a football supporter. :bow:

Alun sunderland ripped my heart out in 79. :banghead:

Pat Vegas
09-03-2013, 12:23 PM

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
09-03-2013, 12:24 PM
The difference is our years of poverty were to build a stadium in some of the most expensive real estate in football to compete with the likes of you who (through no fault of your own) were able to use the Hillsborough all-seater requirement to expand your stadium which AFC, THFC, LFC and EFC couldn't.

That, combined with Fergusson's ability and the talent of your golden generation of kids, along with the EPL and CL money is what set you so far ahead.

So we've got a stadium which, when paid for, will give us £50m+ per season more at current prices.

Your years of poverty will simply mean some septic has got to own ManU for free. (Why didn't we all club together and do this?)

(City and Chelsea have upset the equation but I don't count any of their trophies as genuine - they are all worthless.)

But it was rather sporting of Glazer to rob you for 17 years to allow us to pay for our stadium. This just takes out the advantage you got from Hillsborough and the fact that you could expand your stadium while all the other big clubs couldn't.

Imagine if the EPL and CL had come in the 80s, and OT had shrunk to 38k like Highbury while Anfield expanded to 75k. You'd hate it. And if a yank robbed lots of money from Liverpool while you spent a fortune building a 60k seater OT mark 2, you'd be chuffed that you had the chance to compete that the club of your standing and history deserved, imo.

Do you not agree?

modd
09-03-2013, 12:25 PM

modd
09-03-2013, 12:28 PM
i seen us being average in the league in mid 1990s but i loved out adventures against the odds in cup winners cup against the likes of parma.

I just hate glory hunters who expect everything from our team. I can take the odd moan here and then. But any time we lose a game it same old plastics who come out and moan.

We lucky for 17 years have seen such magnficent attacking football under such a great manager. Sadly we have to many plastic fans to see that.

Under both george and arsene we been lucky to always be top team competing hard against other top clubs.

Steve Williams - gay for Mark Knopfler
Okay he is no Cesc but few are, apart from Mezut.

Lot of people, me included, woudl have been very happy to see Fellaini in N5.

Supermac1976
:hehe:

modd
09-03-2013, 12:32 PM
sorry we were getting bit over affectionate. But he one of the good ones on here along with few others like yourself and half

busbybabes1958
09-03-2013, 12:32 PM
:banghead:

PSRB
09-03-2013, 12:33 PM

busbybabes1958
09-03-2013, 12:35 PM
What a player, he was a dream to watch, even being a red. I've forgiven him for making me cry in 79 though. He should never have been allowed to cross for Alun sunderland to score :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Brentwood
09-03-2013, 12:35 PM

modd
09-03-2013, 12:41 PM
that away. as good as the third was by us it does not excuse united . They had just come back from 2-0 down and then just after making it 2-2 chucked it away by losing their focus. Often happens in football.

Still liam brady was a player i was not old enough to see but i heard he was wonderful player and he has been a great servant of our club with youth development.

Brentwood
09-03-2013, 12:43 PM

busbybabes1958
09-03-2013, 12:48 PM
I know I'll get lynched for saying that on here. :hehe:

09-03-2013, 12:52 PM
expansion post-Hillsborough while OT, Highbury, WHL and Goodison had all shrunk to 36-38k?

And you wouldn't have been happy is some yank owner had taken outlots of money from Lpool at the same time as you had to spend £300m, paid over 17 years, building a new stadium to be able to get to having equal matchday revenues, as us big clubs had before Hillsborough?

I'm just asking if you can see it from the side of supporters of the other 4 big clubs, who went from parity of matchday revenue, to having a fraction of ManU's?

Which unfortunately coincided with the EPL/CL, Fergie and your wonder generation.

Which would have meant that, without the evil oil money, that England would have the most boring league in the world, with ManU being so rich that they would win the league every year?

Since the EPL, only Arsenal have won the league off you. (And that was due to AW's knowledge of the French league when Fr was producing a great generation of players, coupled with GG's back 5 and DB10. A very rare set of circs). Blackburn, Chavs and ****ty just bought the league off you.

A great manager and great generation of players would normally have meant you'd win maybe 5 titles in a decade. With this coinciding with EPL/CL and the Hillsborough/Stadium situation, it could have meant that you'd just have won forever.

Great for you, but would you really have been happy if it had gone against you? If Liverpool would always win the league simply because of Hillsborough and planning permission?

Honestly?

09-03-2013, 12:53 PM

Trixie Popsicle
09-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Very strange.

modd
09-03-2013, 01:07 PM
i can,t comment as did not see him play. For me the best player i ever seen wear our shirt is dennis bergkamp. A true genius and i doubt i see a player for long time as good as him. For me he was better then henry .

modd
09-03-2013, 01:09 PM
i can,t comment as did not see him play. For me the best player i ever seen wear our shirt is dennis bergkamp. A true genius and i doubt i see a player for long time as good as him. For me he was better then henry .

Alexism - Atheoist
09-03-2013, 01:33 PM
:wave:

Trixie Popsicle
09-03-2013, 03:26 PM