PDA

View Full Version : Wenger taking Arsenal into the farcical zone?

Hendon Gooner (Only Easy Day Was Yesterday))
08-30-2013, 10:16 AM
http://le-grove.co.uk/2013/08/30/nik-bendtner-our-new-signin g-no-really-wenger-takes-us-into-the-farcical-zone/#more-180 45 (http://le-grove.co.uk/2013/08/30/nik-bendtner-our-new-signing-no-really-wenger-takes-us-into-the-farcical-zone/#more-18045)

Can't really disagree with what this chap has to say...

Things are getting crazy scary heading into deadline day. Arsene Wenger has gone into war mode. It’s him versus logic, the fans and the board. It’s the last stand of mad man as far as I’m concerned because no manager in their right mind can look at a squad as desperate as ours and think…

‘We can win the league here’

If he’s not gearing our squad up for that, why is he in charge?

Remember, Dick Law and Ivan Gazidis just do what they’re told on the playing front. He dictates value and he dictates what the salaries are. Obviously that’s been a flawed model for years. Dictatorships tend to work when you have a genius at the helm, but sadly, those days are well behind is. Ivan deserves plenty of stick here. It’s all well and good playing the ‘we trust the manager’ card… but when you can clearly see he’s f*cking up the summer in a big way, it’s your responsibility to step in an make bold decisions. For me, Wenger should have been told in no uncertain terms that if he’d made nothing happen by August, the management team would step in and pay their own valuations for players. Screw hurt feelings… this is business.

Instead, he’s sat about and let Arsene crash and burn… great for him, because he’s absolved responsibility. He has the same lack of accountability Wenger has here. Which is a really rough way to run a football club. Someone should be stepping in and saying, I’m taking control here, if it goes wrong, I’ll move on.

No such luck…

What we now have is a stubborn man more interested in fighting those around him. Because look, whatever angle you take on this… his perceived ‘best interests for the club’ aren’t up to scratch. His summer so far should be enough to earn him the sack. What do we have, 12 fit players for the weekend? That is negligence. Not only that, we have a midfield who averagely only contribute 29 games between them. So this mess, statistically, is likely to get worse.

Podolski is out for a whopping ten weeks, based on my expert fitness knowledge, accrued through years of studying our massive injury record, I’d say Lukas has a grade two tear. Grade three would be a leg explosion, so this is serious. Now, if Giroud picks up an injury… we have Sanogo there to step in. . A player who looks so out of his depth it’s unfair. He looks frightened. That’s our number two striker there. Or, as Wenger has confirmed this morning, Nik B who can’t be shifted could play. Really. Can you believe that. A player he can’t stand, back in contention because of shocking planning. He couldn’t find a striker better than Nik in the whole of Europe.. Shocker.

We’re short everywhere. We signed Flamini yesterday, which is at least a body… but he hasn’t played a competitive game since last season.

You can never tell how well teams are going to do over the course of a year, but what you can immediately tell is whether your side is capable of competing for the league. Right now, we’re 6 players off that.

Spurs don’t have Champions League and they’ve lost their best players. What did they do? Went out and signed £100m worth of talent. Will they all work out? Who knows. What matters to the fans is that they gave this season a good go. They’ve shown huge amounts of ambition, they’ve turned a negative into a positive and they’ve achieved that through smart planning and decisive execution.

Arsene has sat back, watched the world improve and totally ignored all the continuous issues he’s suffered through a lack of spending and planning.

… also, it’s worth noting that when I say spend. I mean improve the playing staff. I don’t care for superstars. Best in category 20+ years old would work for me. Chelsea operate like that at the moment. Look how young their front pack of players are at the moment.

We have two days left, the it’s door shut on another window. Game over until Christmas. We might have snatched a couple of opportune panic buy players but the likelihood is we pick up a maximum of two. That’s not helping us win the league. That’s merely plastering over the cracks in our squad… and hey, we might sneak top four again, but jeez, what a lowly ambition for the most cash rich club on the planet.

Arsene has blown the best opportunity we’ve bad in years. But hey, at least there’s cash for the next manager. Lets hope there’s a new power structure in place that’ll never let us get into a position like we’re in now… the manager isn’t the king in the modern football era, the infrastructure and back room team is. Time to rip up the current blue print and start working on the shape moving forward…. because for me, this should be the last season Arsene remains in charge.

Pat Vegas
08-30-2013, 10:23 AM
This could be a very long and horrible season.

OR a good one if they do some good business. But I will be annoyed if we don't strengthen as it's a perfect opportunity to do so.

Berni
08-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Where is this 'farcical zone' of which he speaks? Is it near the equator?

Classic Jorge
08-30-2013, 10:28 AM
could it be that you posted this to detract from the self-c**ting below?

Cyprus The Immortal Gooner
08-30-2013, 10:29 AM

Paul Vaessen's moment of glory
08-30-2013, 10:31 AM
believe AW can be THAT mental, but hey - tick tock, tick tock....Last time it went to deadline day we got five players with 3 of them being a success (I consider Yossi a success, as he performed admirably in about 75% of the games he took part in).

PSRB
08-30-2013, 10:31 AM

Pat Vegas
08-30-2013, 10:33 AM
If we win or lose I hope they have plans and are sticking to them.

08-30-2013, 10:36 AM

08-30-2013, 10:36 AM

08-30-2013, 10:39 AM

Hillary
08-30-2013, 10:39 AM
What an absolute tool.

Classic Jorge
08-30-2013, 10:43 AM
I mean, challenging for the league and signing loads and loads of players.

08-30-2013, 10:43 AM

The Tony
08-30-2013, 10:47 AM
FFS the last time we did this we ended up lard bucket Santos and that thing from Korea....

When we had more time we went out and got Monreal. class. Although that was more to do with Gibbs' injury and Santos' performance at the Emirates where he made Jordan Henderson look like Lionel Messi.

PSRB
08-30-2013, 10:47 AM
in the last month

08-30-2013, 10:50 AM

PSRB
08-30-2013, 10:52 AM
than any other side. 'arry was always down to the bare bones

Hillary
08-30-2013, 10:54 AM
If our best players stay fit all season, we could theoretically challenge with what we have. Unlikely, obviously.

Buying more and better players gives you a better chance of challenging - of course it does - but it gives you no guarantees. We could have bought Suarez for £50m and he could have been Shawcrossed the next match.

As soon as someone says "we need to buy x number of players" it betrays the fact that they don't really understand football.

08-30-2013, 10:56 AM

Norn Iron
08-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Giroud and Sanogo were the only strikers at the club. With 3 days to go that remains the same. We still need a striker.

Ashberto
08-30-2013, 10:58 AM
Perhaps Arsene operates quite well in the Panic Zone after all.

PSRB
08-30-2013, 11:00 AM
I think of the 22 players released over the summer, only 3 played in the league and that was a combined total of 22 games between them and one of those was Gervinho who played 14x

I will say now, I hope the Arsenal fans that drove him out are happy with themselves. Hope he does well at Roma

PSRB
08-30-2013, 11:01 AM

Pat Vegas
08-30-2013, 11:02 AM

Hillary
08-30-2013, 11:11 AM
Christ we've given Walcott enough time to get the hang of how to use it, after all.

08-30-2013, 11:15 AM

PSRB
08-30-2013, 11:18 AM
without fans getting on his back. I fully expect him to be a star at Roma

African cup of nations 2 years on the spin didn't help either!

Hillary
08-30-2013, 11:19 AM
he was damn good and he didn't hide even when he was having a mare. Whether he will ever piece it together often enough to succeed at the top level remaims to be seen, but I feel we could have given him a better chance than he got.

redgunamo
08-30-2013, 11:25 AM
"we", as in Wenger?

Hendon Gooner (Only Easy Day Was Yesterday))
08-30-2013, 11:30 AM

Remi Garde
08-30-2013, 11:33 AM

08-30-2013, 11:34 AM
I to argue with the great one? :-) (Gervinho wasn't all bad, I agree, had some good moments, but the headless chicken displays came at a ratio of 3-1, which didn't help)

08-30-2013, 11:39 AM
did seem to display an appalling lack of awareness more often than not. The fans also got on Ramsey's back, but look where he is now.

Luis Anaconda
08-30-2013, 11:41 AM
and unfortunately given the utter c**ts he had to play in front of every week, probably realised it wasn't going to work

08-30-2013, 11:44 AM

Luis Anaconda
08-30-2013, 11:48 AM