PDA

View Full Version : Were Arsenal fans calling for David Dein's head between 1983 and 1987?

Maravilloso Marvo
08-23-2013, 11:10 AM

Tai Lopez
08-23-2013, 11:13 AM

Mack
08-23-2013, 11:14 AM

Peter
08-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Because i knew his son, vaguely.

Steve Williams - gay for Mark Knopfler
08-23-2013, 11:16 AM
A strange question if I may say.

redgunamo
08-23-2013, 11:16 AM

Tai Lopez
08-23-2013, 11:17 AM

Paul Vaessen's moment of glory

Peter

Curly
08-23-2013, 11:18 AM

08-23-2013, 11:19 AM

Luis Anaconda
08-23-2013, 11:20 AM

Curly
08-23-2013, 11:22 AM
You are Vlad the Impaler are you not?

Peter
08-23-2013, 11:25 AM
I didnt really have a clue, just popped along for a bit of a laugh after the game. A very arsenal-like protest, a couple of hundred people shouting fairly politely.

08-23-2013, 11:26 AM
rubbish thing built for uninformed tourists :puke:

Maravilloso Marvo
08-23-2013, 11:26 AM
Fans are demanding the current board leave, so I wonder if we were that impatient in the 80s?

Peter
08-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Adams, rocastle, keown, robson.

In fact, we complained when don howe was sacked. Very different times. In those days liverpool won everything and you just sort of accepted that. We were happy with a cup run.

Maravilloso Marvo
08-23-2013, 11:33 AM
We should be accepting that Man City and Chelski should be winning everything and buying the best players. We shouldn't be comparing Gazidis' work now to Dein's work in a different era.

Peter
08-23-2013, 11:38 AM
But not with us.the club themselves appear happy where they are. This is fairly new. Arsenal fans in the past may have been more patient but the expectation tht the club should be challenging for everything was stillthere. The aim to do so still there. And don howe was sacked after three and a half years for failing to do so.

It is one thing to not be good enough but it is unique for the club to be happy that they have found their level. I knowmthe circumstances are different but it is difficult for all of us to adjust, even more so when the club keep bull****ting us that there isnt a problem.

If fans think we should be challenging at the very top, can you blame them? We are a big club, we hae a manager who has done it for us before and we are told there is plenty of money and that we have a world class squad who can win the league.

08-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Bit harsh to really blame him for any perceived malaise and him just through the door.

Expectations, and fans, were different then anyway. The culture of football is so different now.

The manager was sacked/replaced a few times in that period all the same. Perhaps we should do that.

Maravilloso Marvo
08-23-2013, 11:44 AM
I know what you mean and you and Peter are right as well. I am just fed up with Dein being heralded as a hero and Gazidas as the devil.

Monty91
08-23-2013, 11:45 AM
b) only now have money to spend but still refuse to spend it

c) didn't have money to spend and still don't

?

08-23-2013, 11:46 AM
The people that do are simply those who feel a need to apportion blame relevant to what they see as our current plight, wanting to blame somebody but don't want to blame AW.

Actually I do blame IG for his stupidity earlier this summer. Silly c**t. Beyond that, no.

Luis Anaconda
08-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Definitely Hill-Wood who got the **** then - and Dein got the credit for getting in Georgie

Peter
08-23-2013, 11:58 AM
We all know we didnt have money to spend for a good period there. The club have told us (retrospectively) and so has arsene.

I dont know what the picture is now but i first thought it had changed in january when we signed monreal. We didnt have to spend that much on a second left back. It seemed promising.

I THINK we have some money to spend. 'Not as much as people write' apparently (take note ivan) but more than in recent years.

However.......just as you and your ilk say we should wait until the end of the window before judging, i will wait until isee us spend it before i believe it. So far, it has been our most frugal summer in decades.

Our behaviour this summer doesnt add up. Hopefully the next ten days will reveal all and we will work out what we were up to. If nothing happens then i will believe that nothing has changed.

Monty91
08-23-2013, 12:06 PM
it's because "the club themselves appear happy where they are"?

The club meaning Wenger included, presumably? Or do you think the club are refusing to give him the money to spend, or at least discouraging him?

Why would Wenger not want to spend money that is available? He has not been shy of paying moderately big transfer fees in the past, so why not now?

Peter
08-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Wenger would refuse to spend it.

I cannot fathom a footballig reason for not spending any money. That only leaves a financial/strategic decision.

When i say the club appear happy where they are i only mean that as they finish 3rd or 4th every year and never change the manager, the strategy etc......thy appear satisfied.

Monty91
08-23-2013, 12:22 PM
for a good reason, that being the fact that we've been financiallyu straight-jacketed due to the stadium move? Do you not think they've been grateful to have a manager who has been able (albeit, only by the skin of our teeth on occasion) steer us through that transition whilst retaining our champions league status?

And do you not think they have been also been happy to settle for finishing 3rd or 4th due to the fact that two billionaire owners have emerged during that period who have effectivly made it impossible for us to compete at a time when we we have been so financially restricted?

And do you not think that the people at the top are likely to be aware that our capacity to finish top four without spending money cannot last forever, and that to refuse to release funds now that we have them would be utterly suicidal?

With 10 days left of the first transfer window in which we have ever claimed to have proper money to spend, do we not owe them the benefit of the doubt for now?

Peter
08-23-2013, 01:34 PM
The fact is they been deliberately unclear with us for years, to the point where it is impossible to believe what they tell us. Consequently, i judge by what i see. And so far i see nothing.

I am giving them the benefit of the doubt and i agree they will spend if we have it. If nothing has happened by 02 september then we can only conclude that ivan was lying to us. And that i dont like. Either way i dont particularly like the way they have happily let wnger take all the blame for our failire to spend.