PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I'm being naive, and I'm sure he'll enjoy his wealth in his retirement and indeed

Monty91
08-22-2013, 09:02 PM
enjoy the fact that his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren will be comfortable for life too, but this idea that Wenger is somehow in it for the money does not really stack up against what we know about him as a man, which is essentially that hs ie utterly obsessed with football, spends evenings at home watching Albanian division 6 matches, and confesses to not knowing how to drive anywhere in London other than the route to and from his Totteridge home and the training ground.

Does that really suggest a guy who is happy coasting in his job and making football decisions based on his own financial gain?

pjlincs
08-22-2013, 09:14 PM
at bank in the accounts last March. He is the sole director. The personal money is academic. It is not what drives him.

Mo Britain less Europe
08-22-2013, 09:19 PM

Arsenes' Wanger- Bring back Modd
08-22-2013, 09:39 PM
Arsenal goes backwards every year and he and Ivan / Stan seem happy with this.
We have no chance of mounting a serious challenge for the League again this year and winning the Champions League is totally out of the question.
The question is will Arsene have a serious tilt at the Cups or will Blackpool/Blackburn/Burnley types see us off again.
Bring on the Russian owners please.

eastgermanautos
08-22-2013, 09:44 PM

bostonbrian
08-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Still no chance, but a better one at least

alexjames
08-22-2013, 10:00 PM
You saying that he has a personal service company?

News to me - name please.

bostonbrian
08-22-2013, 10:04 PM

halfsharkalligatorhalfman
08-22-2013, 10:05 PM
And, while the quality of the squad might have declined, how come our position in the league has remained pretty much constant?

Look at this handy graph that Q posted and tell me you want to get rid of Wenger again. Please.

http://i.imgur.com/VWYTTvx.png

bostonbrian
08-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Now ,because of TV and wealthy owners, only 3 can win :shrug:.....so that graph is a croc imo

Ashberto
08-22-2013, 10:09 PM
he is more interested in personal gain than the interests of the club. Monty was addressing that point.

If Arsenal are going backwards every year, as you claim, then how come we are still hitting top four, behind 3 clubs who year-on-year have had more resources? By your reasoning we should be about 7th or 8th by now.

Yes, it's been a trying summer so far, even for those of us that are patient and still believe in the boss, but let's see where we are at the end of the window. Saturday exposed the thinness of the squad when we were unlucky with injuries to two defenders and a harsh red for a third, but quite frankly, the Invincibles would have done well to get a result in that game given the ref's performance. Thankfully that ref has been dropped.

If Wenger ultimately fails to deploy the resources he has available to strengthen this summer then criticism for this transfer window will be valid, but although he has clearly taken a risk with the first few games, perhaps a strategy involving CL-quality players will be revealed which will prove that he has not been asleep, as you put it.

Oh, and I don't recall us losing to Blackpool in a cup. When was that?

08-22-2013, 10:11 PM

Ashberto
08-22-2013, 10:16 PM
Which surely makes coming third or fourth every year moderately respectable rather than the disaster that so many repeatedly claim.

08-22-2013, 10:22 PM

bostonbrian
08-22-2013, 10:22 PM
That's more of a reflection on how poorly footy in general is run worldwide nowadays, than on how good/bad Arsenal are run.

08-22-2013, 10:24 PM
Teams starting with B, I thought you might have picked that up.

08-22-2013, 10:26 PM

Ashberto
08-22-2013, 10:26 PM
and upgrades to maybe one or two positions and we could be challenging for something nice. We also need decent refs like the one last night.

bostonbrian
08-22-2013, 10:27 PM
The sky deal imo....there are no more Nottingham forests or there like ever again imo

Ashberto
08-22-2013, 10:28 PM

08-22-2013, 10:29 PM
If Tottenham spend the remaining Bale money well they could be in with a shout of winning the league.

Abhorrent thought for us, but fantastic for the misty-eyed neutral, no?

Ashberto
08-22-2013, 10:29 PM

bostonbrian
08-22-2013, 10:35 PM
I fear I'm turning into that lad from fever pitch...you know ,the chap in the cafe who hates Jon Sammels :-(. .....I might have less of a feeling of hate towards Ramsey though :rubchin:

Deleted Account
08-22-2013, 10:36 PM
nor the way we play, it's mainly a bore.

If you like it fine but graphs and all that crap mean nothing when we have a manager who could actually win something if he weren't so brittle,tactically inflexible and myopic.

Why do arsenal regularly fall apart when in with a chance of winning? It comes from Wenger. Mental strength and spirit are exactly what goes missing. 2008 and 2011 spring to mind, pathetic late season capitulations.

As for 4th we've limped home so many times because of spurs imploding not because of any great virtue. Season before it was a matter of who coould drop the most points rather than who was better

you are living in a in cuckoo land of rationalisation

bostonbrian
08-22-2013, 10:42 PM
The title....I KNOW!

08-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Who knows? Even if it's unlikely, it's better to believe that the impossible could happen - if only for our own sanity.

Arsenal /could/ win the league, and that would be a victory for clubs who do things the right way, attaining financial success and consequentially victories on the pitch, through sound and fair management.

08-22-2013, 10:46 PM
more later.

08-22-2013, 10:47 PM

bostonbrian
08-22-2013, 10:48 PM
I f**king know!... But you won't listen ffs :shout:

08-22-2013, 10:51 PM
Battleworn veteran, but with a gleam in his eye, Mikel Arteta!? Roguish scamp, cocaine and hooker loving Tomas Rosicky!!? Sagna!?? Cazorla!?? What's wrong with you!???

bostonbrian
08-22-2013, 10:57 PM
I still hold that two year absence with a mystery illness against Rosicky :shrug: Monty has convinced me that Cazorla can't shoot :shrug: Sagna is black so bueno has convinced me he's a c**t :shrug:

08-22-2013, 11:00 PM
Who cares why Rosicky was out!? He's our aging maverick midfielder who shows the young'uns what's what before going out to trendy nihilist performance art meets and putting lots of substances up his nose. And Sagna's just.... wicked!

If you can't find it in your heart to love them then you're a cold, cold man, Brian.

NOT Nicosia. Now banned.
08-23-2013, 12:04 AM
http://image2.chaobuoisang.net/cs/2011/07/06/hlv-wenger-choi-cau-truot-tren-bien-2.jpg

08-23-2013, 02:07 AM
To comment on the graph. First of all it shows a lack of ambition in past decades.
Arsenal are the biggest club in the largest city and have punched below their weight at certain times.
A graph probably should only pertain to the Premier League years as the huge cash injections from Pay TV, Sponsorships have changed the landscape remarkably.
What it doesn't show and probably should is how many points we finish behind the leaders each year.
To go into our second League game of the season with one fit centreback and one fit striker is a trifle alarming.
The answer to all my statements is this,
How many of this squad would make the Invincibles team?
The answer alarmingly is not one would come close, possibly Santi on the bench.
The truth is plain to see.
And you try to argue that things are rosy.

Paul Vaessen's moment of glory
08-23-2013, 06:07 AM