PDA

View Full Version : eez leetle bit crazy, but 'e 'az a cunning plan...

One Wilf Copping
08-20-2013, 12:19 AM
http://doblelol.com/thumbs/funny-wenger-pictures_4888004522346883.jpg

The jokes are more plausible than the reality now... After the Villa match: "“Even if you go on the Eiffel Tower and you throw the money away, you have to play with the players you have.”

Cyprus The Immortal Gooner
08-20-2013, 04:46 AM

Hendon Gooner (Only Easy Day Was Yesterday))
08-20-2013, 06:00 AM
"If you throw money off the top off the Eifel tower you still have to play with the players you have"....

How about investing the money in great quality players instead of throwing it from the Eifel tower or sticking it in a bank account you senile old fool...

Cyprus The Immortal Gooner
08-20-2013, 06:10 AM

halfsharkalligatorhalfman
08-20-2013, 06:23 AM
He was saying that as the CL squads are already finalised, he could buy ANYONE but it wont help on Wednesday.

08-20-2013, 06:24 AM
Hendon hasn't even understood the quote, which is more than a bit rich.

R.C. Celebrating the return of Trophies
08-20-2013, 06:34 AM
and forgive my simplicity, he should have done the business of strengthening the team sooner?

08-20-2013, 06:39 AM
But you are completely misrepresenting the quote in an attempt to use it as an example of Arsene showing contempt for the fans, when in reality it was anything but. It's embarrassing.

No-one's saying there aren't problems at the club, but you need to grow a pair of balls, see where we are on September 2nd and reassess from there.

08-20-2013, 06:48 AM
not even mentioned the quote, just replied to your 'context' comment.

Tell you what, lets be more patient than sept 2nd, lets judge him in May.....again.

And then give him another summer to do f**k all in because he wont spend any money until we are guaranteed CL group games and we have no chance of finishing in the top 3 because he didn't strengthen in time for this season (do you see a cycle of repetition yet, you perhaps should because its been going on for a few years now.

08-20-2013, 06:55 AM
with a fraction of the resources of the teams above us? Yeah we've lost players and our team has degraded in quality, but there is a point to be made that things could be much, much worse with almost any other manager in the world trying to sustain the club on our budget.

Tottenham, Liverpool and numerous other clubs have spent more on transfers with some spending comparable amounts on wages, but have *never* been able to finish above us. Chelsea who have unlimited resources finished in fifth (I appreciate they won the CL that year), showing that, while getting top four isn't a trophy, it also shouldn't be taken for granted.

Wenger has almost been a custodian for our club during the last 8 years. He has been frantically paddling to keep us afloat while richer clubs gathered like vultures to take our prize assets, and he has *just* been able to keep us going.

Now, according to Gazidis at least, we finally have the financial wherewithal to begin spending like a club of our calibre again. ALl of the years of hardship and degradation of our team should soon be made worth it by the potential our club will be able to fulfill.

I'm baffled as every Arsenal fan is as to why we haven't done anything this summer. I see the obvious holes in our team and the players going to other teams that could quite easily have filled gaps in ours. All we can do though, at least until the transfer window shuts, is to let Wenger finish playing his hand, see where that gets us this season, and then decide whether the years of success and growth he has brought us should come to an end because of mistakes he has made this year.

08-20-2013, 07:21 AM
I just don't believe its going to be that easy to repair the damage recent years of limited ambition have done to our reputation. No-one of any caliber will want to join a club whose sole ambition is to come fourth and who wont take seriously 50% of the competitions they play in despite them being their only realistic chance of success.

With just a tad more belief and drive I honestly believe we could have enjoyed success in the last 8 years. We really have been that close at times, and the team have only really degraded in the last 3 years in all honesty. Before that....... well opportunities missed imo and unnecessarily so.

08-20-2013, 07:27 AM
But would that have been enough to see us do better than City, United and Chelsea? Well that's kind of implausible.

Even now, assuming we are able to spend the full 70 million, our full spending potential is less than City's during a comparatively quiet transfer window for them.

Of course now is the tipping point for everybody. Arsenal have money to spend, Wenger needs to make the best use of the resources he has available to improve the squad. If he doesn't then I, although I don't want him gone, fear for his future with our rabble of a fanbase.

08-20-2013, 07:44 AM
and I confess I only remember back to mid 70s, where the opinion of the fans have influenced the decisions of the board at Arsenal when it comes to the position of manager.

2008 will always be the one that got away for me. decent squad, good lead.....then came Taylor and we never recovered from that game.