PDA

View Full Version : How could we have gotten this summer so spectacularly wrong?

Goonerism
08-19-2013, 01:46 PM
I just cant see any reasoning or logic behind our strategy. Leaving aside the Villa result, which if I am honest doesnt even bother me that much, what did we have to gain from leaving it so late? Any ideas cos I'm really struggling here?

I want Arsene to turn this around but I fear he has backed himself into a corner that even he cant get out of.

Snin
08-19-2013, 01:48 PM
:-)

Lord Roose Bolton
08-19-2013, 01:55 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BSCWleDCYAALIlc.jpg:large

Goonerism
08-19-2013, 01:56 PM

Supermac1976
08-19-2013, 01:58 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqnu79eCY11qhdp90o1_500.gif

Ashberto
08-19-2013, 02:00 PM
First problem was that we had to clear the deadwood before signing livewood. This is why we couldn't buy early. Secondly, we f**ked up with Higuiain because we got distracted by Suarez, and duped, as it turned out. Third, the club doesn't have the experience of buying big players from big clubs.

Fourth, the possible problem of Arsene's valuation perhaps a little bit not really reflecting current prices, especially for top players. Fifth, suddenly experiencing the 'wealth tax' levied on clubs known to be in the moolah. Ivan didn't help here. Now we might be facing a desperation tax as well. OTOH, some clubs might need the money themselves.

Goonerism
08-19-2013, 02:04 PM
are only interested in joining once we have secured Champions League football.

Red N White Army
08-19-2013, 02:11 PM

redgunamo
08-19-2013, 02:18 PM
We used to refer to them as "our future".

Next, bidding whatever for Suarez one week shouldn't stop you bidding whatever else for Higuain the previous week, should it?

I agree with the next one; made the same point myself the other week.

Finally, the wealth tax and our valuations has been an issue for years. Or anyway, we've heard about it before. Even from Wenger.

It's good fun to think so, of course, but I'm sure Ivan's ill-chosen words made no difference at all. It's my belief that everyone who needs to know about these things already knows how much money everybody has and/or is willing to spend.

The Higuain one is of interest there because nobody was saying that we were offering what Napoli ended up paying. Is there a special Napoli tax too?

redgunamo
08-19-2013, 02:21 PM

Ashberto
08-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Same way as Liverpool got taxed on Andy Carroll when they had the Torres money.

Also, I read (possible BS) that Higuain got sniffy when he was suddenly not our main target. Using the (now slightly jaded) nightclub metaphor, you can see why.

redgunamo
08-19-2013, 02:35 PM
interest in GH was known and was being chewed over.

When Higuain was already modelling our new away shirt in the mirror in preparation for his trip to Asia with the rest of our players, Napoli were still a couple of weeks away from their BT Bring 'n' Buy.

In short, if we'd offered what Madrid wanted, he'd be ours now.

Red N White Army
08-19-2013, 02:36 PM
Than Higuain went for. http://www.awimb.com/images/smiley_icons/ohwell.gif

redgunamo
08-19-2013, 02:37 PM

redgunamo
08-19-2013, 03:05 PM
And we end up getting him for the same or less than we would have a few weeks ago, of course.