PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Times article about Bale vs Feo.....

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
08-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Basically saying why is Feo rated as £15m and Bale £100m, given that Bale scored just 5 more goals but had 4 less assists.

Feo 21+11=32
Monkey 26+7=33

Not much in it.

Do dives count as assists if the pen is scored? If so, the monkey is worth 6-7x as much as Feo just because he can cheat a pen or two every season.

So if Feo had learnt to cheat like the monkey, he'd be worth an extra £80m.

Also, Feo didn't play for a period when his contract shenanigans were ongoing. He'd surely have scored or made a goal or two in that period, putting in the same class as the monkey.

With Santi out left, him and Feo score and make enough goals imo. (Though even more would be nice.)

If we could get a decent, double figure return from whoever plays in the no.10 role, we'd be sorted, especially with a 25+ (or even 30+) centre forward.

I'm neither an AKB or an Arsene-outer.

But my feelings will be determined in part by who starts the season as no.10

I'd love him to keep TR7 playing there.

Last 2 seasons, it was Tommy getting that role towards the end of the season that got us into 4th place.

With Jack's drive and Mikky's guile behind him, then it could be ok.

But we could really do with TR scoring 10+ goals, and Jack getting towards that figure.

What's the most goals TR has ever scored forr us in a season btw?

Anyway, here's the article if you're interested.....

We have a thing about mistakes in Britain. We don’t like them. If you attempt to start your own business here, and it fails, the chances of receiving investment for another reduces dramatically.

Elsewhere they are less judgmental. A failed businessman or woman in America for example is an experienced one, an individual less likely to make the mistakes of the beginner. They are not tainted.

This cultural difference must be at play when it comes to the strange case of Theo Walcott v Gareth Bale.

They are both 24, both impressively quick and last season scored 47 goals between them. Given that Real Madrid have offered £85m for Bale and nothing at all for Walcott you might be tempted to conclude only seven of those goals were scored by the Arsenal attacker.

Bale, though, scored only five more than his former Southampton team-mate. And when it came to creativity in the Premier League last season Walcott was the more effective player, providing 11 assists to Bale’s seven.

In January Walcott signed a three year extension to his contract with Arsenal and he tends to be labelled these days as a £15million player. Odd, that.

Even if you take Real Madrid’s LOOK AT ME manner of conducting business out of the equation Walcott v Bale is a conundrum. How many Arsenal fans are thinking, as the Welshman’s transfer tale unfolds, ‘Ha, we have the English Bale and he’s not going anywhere’?

Nationality is a factor. A player’s progress is monitored more closely if they are an England prospect and Walcott was over-hyped as a future saviour for his nation when he was picked, aged 17, by Sven-Goran Eriksson, to travel to the 2006 World Cup.

That his subsequent progress was in fits and starts was entirely predictable but it left a residue of mistrust. If he could whizz down the wing and score hat-tricks one week, why not every week?

Meanwhile Bale was being treated like a character in a comic book. He was considered a jinx. His first 24 appearances for Tottenham were not in themselves appalling but his team failed to win any of their games. Bale, then, has had longer to find his feet unfettered by expectation.

Perhaps it is all about image. Real clearly believe Bale can create income through marketing and image rights. He was busy at the awards end of the season, everyone’s player of the year, a humble, boy next door sort of chap.

Except that he has a reputation for diving which might or might not be unfair given the pace at which he overtakes opponents. When it comes to post-match chit-chat Walcott is the more eloquent fellow and just as modest.

Bale’s goals are more glamorous, well timed and more powerfully struck but there have been matches where if you remove Bale’s goals his contribution was less than sparkling.

Walcott is still searching for a selfish streak and works hard to link up with his team-mates. It does not always succeed. A typical Walcott run will sometimes prompt a sharp intake of breath followed by a deep sigh as the crowd heckle that he should have shot, not passed -or passed not taken a shot.

He makes mistakes and for a player who makes errors to be able to boast his statistics is worthy of adulation of Bale like proportions.

Just had a look.

He scored 6 goals in 18 games in the league in his 2nd season (when he'd have been playing out wide from memory), but bugger all since.

Anyone reckon he could get back to scoring 1 in 3 if he played as the no.10?

If so, we'd be sorted.

Jake
08-07-2013, 01:45 PM

Snin
08-07-2013, 01:46 PM

David Pleat AHADF (Royal Welsher and monkey lover)
08-07-2013, 01:47 PM
cross, got 2 feet which he can shoot with, can beat people and is physically stronger.

Ashberto
08-07-2013, 01:53 PM

Luis Anaconda
08-07-2013, 01:54 PM

redgunamo
08-07-2013, 01:56 PM

redgunamo
08-07-2013, 01:58 PM

Jake
08-07-2013, 02:00 PM

Jake
08-07-2013, 02:01 PM

redgunamo
08-07-2013, 02:07 PM

Rich
08-07-2013, 02:13 PM
In reality, Theo is probably worth £30million at today's money and Bale £40-50million.

08-07-2013, 02:16 PM
I know stats don't tell you everything, but for a wide forward then can give a good indication, especially when they are playing in the same league with teams of a similar level.

Like The Times, I don't think that the difference in stats justify the difference in value.

The point The Times was making is that Monkey progressed outside the spotlight, while Feo's early fame has led him to be criticised for not becoming a true great by this point.

I think they're sort of saying that if the monkey had been taken to a world cup at 17, while Feo had progressed quietly then Madreeed may be making all the fuss about Feo while the monkey would be getting stick.

Jake
08-07-2013, 02:16 PM

Jake
08-07-2013, 02:18 PM
The most individual contribution Theo's ever done is (probably) that run vs Liverpool in the CL before setting up Adebayor.

gco40203
08-07-2013, 02:29 PM
The other statistic that is missing is how many of the goals and assists were game changers. How many were that game's decisive goal/assist eg Theo scoring the 7th vs newcastle isn't the same value as Bale's last minute winner vs West Ham.

My impression is that Bale's impact on a game is greater than Theo's and that when the chips are down Bale is more likely to be a match winner than Theo.

08-07-2013, 02:33 PM
keeper, then that's just as much use as sticking it in the top corner from 25 yards.

The thing about Feo is his inconsistency. Good Feo vs bad Feo. He uses his pace to get these chances. One day, he finishes like Titi and get a hat-trick. The next he plays like me.

But he has been improving the last two seasons, and I honestly believe he can kick on this season.

We went from running without the ball, to having the ball but not having a footballing brain, to having a bit of a footballing brain but not being able to finish if he had time to think, to actually being able to finish sometimes when he had time to think.

If he can now go on to finishing a lot of the time when he has time to think, then I reckon he'll become a top, top player.

He is only 24, remember.

redgunamo
08-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Naturally, Bale's good games would stand out, amidst their shower.

08-07-2013, 02:36 PM

Jake
08-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Bale can have the ball and score a goal out of nothing, he can change a game, Theo doesn't have that ability.

redgunamo
08-07-2013, 02:50 PM
The two players are actually rather similar; they are both kind of like Steve McQueen in The Great Escape, kind of a walking special effect. Brought out for the exciting moments but absent the rest of the time.

If you'd swapped them over last season, I think we'd still have pipped them for fourth. So right now, Theo plays for a better team, which speaks for his quality.