PDA

View Full Version : If we spend nothing in the transfer window weill we have £100+millions next summer or will this

Mo Britain less Europe
08-05-2013, 10:36 AM
year's warchest be lost?

R.C. Celebrating the return of Trophies
08-05-2013, 10:47 AM

Redflag
08-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Presumably they will want a star player to front the campaign and Champions League football .

Peter
08-05-2013, 11:12 AM
I think he said we had 70 million in extra revenue. That isjust an increase in turnover, it could mean precisely nothing in terms pf what we actually have to spend.

Clearly it is driving bigger plans but the sum itself isnt 'what we have'

Also...ivan didnt say we would spend big this year. He said we would be seeing the start of an escalation from this year and hinted tht big sums were more likely in the coming years.

Curly
08-05-2013, 11:15 AM
And not what the "popular media" are telling everyone

Redflag
08-05-2013, 11:20 AM
"We have a certain amount which we've held in reserve. We also have new revenue streams coming on board and all of these things mean we can do some things which would excite you. What excites Arsène isn't necessarily what excites you."

Wenger has always viewed the free-spending approach of Manchester City and Chelsea with disdain but Gazidis insists there is no philosophical opposition to spending big money, despite the club's record transfer fee standing at just £15m for Andrei Arshavin from Zenit St Petersburg in 2009.

"There is no ideological narrative at stake here," said Gazidis. "The ideological narrative is we want to have the best possible players, the best possible team and compete for trophies and Arsène will do what he thinks is right to do that. There is no philosophical line in the sand and I suspect that he would pay £25m for Lionel Messi."

The bit where Ivan says that he suspects that Arsene would pay £25m for Messi is the give away though :hehe:

Peter
08-05-2013, 11:20 AM

Curly
08-05-2013, 11:24 AM
"We should be able to compete at a level like a club such as Bayern Munich. I'm not saying we are there by any means, we have a way to go before we can put ourselves on that level"

Please show me a quote where he says we have 70 million to spend on players this season.

Peter
08-05-2013, 11:26 AM
"I think that’s a little unfair to say that every year you hear this. I know what my messaging has been every year and I’ve been very careful about it. The fact is this year we are beginning to see something we have been planning for for some time, which is the escalation in our financial firepower. And that’s going to happen partly into next season - it’s part way available now in the summer but the following season as well. It’s a progression over the next two seasons. It’s quite significant for the club"

Not exactly raising the roof regarding this summer is he?

The gradual increase is a lot easier to understand than a sudden shift-skint on tuesday, loaded on wednesday.

Redflag
08-05-2013, 11:34 AM
" Gazidis believes that the high profit margin increases they will make to their balance sheet could give Wenger an additional £70m to spend every summer, not even including the dramatic increase in income provided by the Premier League's £5bn television deal. "This year we are beginning to see something we have been planning for some time, which is the escalation in our financial firepower," Gazidis said. "That's going to happen partly into next season. It's part way available now in the summer but the following season as well. It's a progression over the next two seasons. It's quite significant for the club.

Curly
08-05-2013, 11:38 AM
"Gazidis believes"
who said that?

Hillary
08-05-2013, 11:38 AM
I'm sure you'd never do anything so fraudulent, though.

Redflag
08-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Then there is the freeing up of wages after the recent culling of players .

Peter
08-05-2013, 11:40 AM
It is just that, as you say, none of them seem to quote gazidis as saying it.

That figure has floated round the papers as accepted wisdom for a while now.

Peter
08-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Sitting there.

I think we all know there is cash floating around and we can more or less deduce that part of the club's approach has been built on ensuring a substantial cash float. We dont know why, but thy will have their reasons.

What you are looking for is not confirmtion of the sum, it is confirmation that the changes in our finances now mean that the club are willing to free it up. Ivan says we held some in reserve, he doesnt mention spending it.

The wage bill never gets culled, it always goes up. Wht we save from arshavin leaving will be swallowed up improved contracts for others, pro contracts for kids and whoever we brig in. Wont go very far.

Furthermore, it is essential that we keep the wage bill separate from the transfer pot. Wages are part of pur annual liabilityas a standard outgoing, budgted as such. Transfers are one hit agreements, paid from a pot.

Only the media swallow it up as one sum to hugely inflate the figures involved.