PDA

View Full Version : Wenger baiting and hysterics to one side, purely from a commercial perspective

7evens
07-30-2013, 10:21 AM
there is pressure on the club to spend.
If we assume the mission statement is to continue to challenge for honours and to grow the brand, the club is only going to push the boundaries by appealing to new fans and sponsors alike.

We're now approaching a period where clubs like chelsea, city and united are distancing themselves further and for the first time, beginning to lure in players by not spending so much on individuals, even though they still can when required.
Presumably, top players benchmark them as title challengers to a point where if us or liverpool go up against Chelsea for a 20m player, he'll more than likely opt for Chelsea, even if the fee and wages remain the same..

The spend some fackin money crowd may appear gauche but in some ways, they have a point.

Wilsheres Clockwork Toy
07-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Arsene way just want to leave the funds available to the next manager.

First summer in a long time i have expected a decent signing to happen. Last season was better and we had less money then :rubchin:
Podolski, Grioud and Santi, 3 more players at that level and the team will be looking very strong. But alas just some young french kid.

Curly
07-30-2013, 10:28 AM

Classic Jorge
07-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Fine, if we can afford them then great, but I think we might be missing the larger point. It isnt to spend money, despite what evidence might suggest with city et al spending millions doesnt automatically get you success, it just buys you a lottery ticket to success.

The real key is to bring in the right players for the right money and, despite what our new credit card limit might suggest, it's the exact same problem we've always faced.

Wilsheres Clockwork Toy
07-30-2013, 10:30 AM
Nor am i complaining about no signings, just seemed like we should of got these deals if they happen sorted early like last season.

Curly
07-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Few weeks left

7evens
07-30-2013, 10:33 AM
That's probably no longer realistic. Even Barca have to spend big once in a while.
My concern is that when we can afford them, these players will go elsewhere, often through misplaced belief. Marko Marin being a good case in point.

PSRB
07-30-2013, 10:34 AM
so may as well play a bit of a waiting game

*I appreciate he might be handy for the CL qualifiers but we should be strong enough to get through those

g gooner
07-30-2013, 10:34 AM

7evens
07-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Let Liverpool pay his wages while he's suspended and then nick him a day or so before the window closes. :cloud9:

Wilsheres Clockwork Toy
07-30-2013, 10:37 AM

Curly
07-30-2013, 10:37 AM
Barca,City and PSG have made their marquee signings.We're just waiting on Madrid now.If they don't get Bale,they may very well go for Suarez.It's a waiting game imo

Classic Jorge
07-30-2013, 10:42 AM
My point is that two teams reached the CL final last year, each of their methodologies are pretty valid. It's not just about spunking massive amounts on players.

We may have a lot of money, relatively at least, but we arent in the territory of chelsea or city who are able to spunk skiploads of the stuff on players, and when that goes wrong on compensating managers.

Going down this road is madness, let's not drive ourselves mad, eh?

Redflag
07-30-2013, 10:52 AM
They were just a yo yo club up and down like Jimmy Savile's trousers until the Arabs bought them. I agree though that just spending money will not guarantee success,the manager's judgement on who to buy,develop,and his tactics in crunch games also play a big part.
Then you have to define what is success,for some it's just staying in the Prem,for others winning it, and then there are those who see just qualifying for the Champions League as being a trophy.
We are in 4th place is a trophy position now days under Arsene and heneedtospendsomeforkinmoney if he wants to realistically challenge for the league title against sides with stronger squads.
However he claims , if he's telling the truth,in his recent statements to refute the suggestion that the current squad is not good enough to win the league. The proof of this will only be known later in the new season .

Redflag
07-30-2013, 11:13 AM
No one is suggesting that he does a City type spending spree,Ivan was the one who stated that we can splash the cash and match the wages of anyone malarkey,so if some supporters expected this to happen then blame him, not them.
Wenger's recent comments suggest that he doesn't think that he needs a marquee signing; or even any signings at all .
Although he did say that signing top players is harder nowdays. Then again if you go shopping in Sainsbury's you must expect to pay today's prices and not five years ago ones.