PDA

View Full Version : Geoff Strong

ChrisH2
06-17-2013, 12:37 PM
I don't suppose any of you J.Arthurs remember him. Inside right in the early sixties. Good header, although our style was Route 1 all day long, so you had to be a decent header. Grandad and Dad took me to his first game when I was nine. We won 5-0. I sat with Grandad in our seats in the East Upper, block A row D seat 31. Dad had to stand at the clock end with his pal. When we bought Joe Baker there was a certain amount of optimism among the miserable taxi-driving complainers sitting around us that he and Strongy would bring back the glory days. It was fairly short-lived. I read that he scored 31 goals a couple of years later and Joe also scored 31. Was it 1963? Unfortunately we probably conceded 1963 goals that year, which was another of the not very memorable seasons I was forced to sit through from 1957 until that magical night when we won the Inter Tittys Fairs Cup. We sold him to the scouse gits for a tidy sum and he got some glory at left back. So, thanks for your service Geoff Strong.RIP.

Hillary
06-17-2013, 12:52 PM