PDA

View Full Version : Quizwimb - I am putting together a round of science & nature questions for a pub quiz that my

Rich
05-03-2013, 03:49 PM
friends and I are hosting for the Ellen MacArthur Trust. I need a bonus question, however.

It will cost each team an extra Ł1 to play the bonus question, so it can't be too hard to put the teams off playing it. But equally, it can't be ridiculesly easy.

I've also done the sport round and, just to give you an idea, the bonus question I've done there is 'what's the minimum number of boots required to complete a Champions League fixture? 56

44 boots for players, 12 for the six officials (ref, 2 x linesmen, 2 x behind the goal refs, 1 x 4th official). Last year my bonus question for sport was 'how many wooden pieces of equipment does it take to play a full game of cricket?'.

Henry Crun
05-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Do the subs have to play without boots?

Rich
05-03-2013, 03:57 PM
just borrow the boots of the man they were coming on for.

Anyway, I'm asking what the science and nature bonus question can be.

Snin
05-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Alfred Russel Wallace

topical as well

Henry Crun
05-03-2013, 03:58 PM

Rich
05-03-2013, 03:58 PM

Snin
05-03-2013, 04:00 PM
or

GSTB ?

or
which species has been around for the longest without noticably changing forms? Then crocodiles are right up there, as far as vertebrates go since they have been around for over 100 million years. But certain species of cyanobacteria, and blue green algae have been around for many times longer than that.

Thermophilic archaeans are not dependent on the Sun for their energy. They harvest their energy from chemicals found at the vents in a process called chemosynthesis. These organisms are not greatly impacted by surface environmental changes. Perhaps the only organisms that were able to survive the large, frequent impacts of Earth's early years were the thermophilic organisms that lived around deep-sea volcanic vents

Snin
05-03-2013, 04:01 PM
According to classical physics, 3 of space and 1 of time.
According to String Theory, 10 in total.
According to M Theory, 11 in total.
There are also Theories of Space known as Hilbert Space and Function Space (in mathematics) which say there are infinite dimension

Snin
05-03-2013, 04:03 PM
5.972E24 kg

Rich
05-03-2013, 04:05 PM
that question would encourage the teams to throw in an extra pound to attempt the bonus question

Snin
05-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Mathematicians:
None. It’s left to the reader as an exercise.

Theoretical physicists:
Eleven. One does the job, ten join as co-authors.

Nuclear engineers:
One to install the bulb and six to figure out what to do with the old bulb for the next ten thousand years.

Astronomers:
There is no need to change the bulb. Astronomers prefer darkness.

Radioastronomers:
They are not interested in this range of wavelength.

According to Einstein:
Two. One to hold the bulb, the other one to turn the Universe.

Statisticians:
One, give or take two (It depends on the size of the bulb).

Microsoft engineers:
Two. One to change the bulb, the other to close any windows.

Apple engineers:
Seven. One to change the bulb, six to design t-shirts and new gadgets.

Programmers:
None - that’s a hardware problem.

Russian military scientists:
It’s top secret.

NASA engineers:
Seventy seven. First of all, they need a week in advance to plan the bulb replacement operation. Once they are ready, the weather is bad and they have to postpone the mission for a next week. The bulb costs $3,000,000.

Aerospace engineers
None. It’s not rocket science you know.

Archaeologists:
Three. One to change the bulb, two to discuss how long the old one was hanging there.

Darwinists:
One, but it takes 8 million years.

Psychologists:
Do you want to talk about this?

Undergraduates:
None “Bright light - hurts... must go back to bed”.

Postgraduates:
Funding for a new lightbulb ran out six months ago - will have to borrow from their parents.

Research technicians:
One, but it’ll probably take him/her three or four tries to get it right.

Post-doctoral fellows:
One, but it’ll probably take three or four tries to get it right because he/she will probably give it to the technician to do.

Senior researchers:
Five. One to change the light bulb, and four to argue about whether they’re taking the right approach to changing the bulb.

Industry/commercial scientists:
“I’m sorry, changing light bulbs is not in my objectives for this year. If you speak to my line manager we can see about getting it factored in for next year”.

Freudian analysts:
Two. One to change the light bulb, and one to hold the breasts, I mean ladder

Snin
05-03-2013, 04:07 PM

Henry Crun
05-03-2013, 04:32 PM
http://www.quiz-zone.co.uk/questionsbycategory/Science%20and %20Nature/0/answers.html (http://www.quiz-zone.co.uk/questionsbycategory/Science%20and%20Nature/0/answers.html)

pjlincs
05-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Saying nine implies Pluto is included as a planet.

Snin
05-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Eris or another non planet ?

There are 178 known moons in the Solar System. The planet which has the most natural satellites is Jupiter with 66. There are also 104 asteroid moons and as many as 58 satellites of potential dwarf planet candidates.

Major Planets (171)

Mercury does not have any natural satellites (moons)
Venus does not have any natural satellites (moons).
Earth has 1 natural satellite (moon) called 'The Moon' or Luna (asteroid Cruithne orbits the Sun in a 1:1 orbital resonance with Earth)
Mars has 2 natural satellites (moons)
Jupiter has 66 natural satellites (moons)
Saturn has 62 (+1 unconfirmed) natural satellites (moons) and over 150 moonlets
Uranus has 27 natural satellites (moons)
Neptune has 13 natural satellites (moons)

Dwarf Planets (7)

Pluto has 4
Eris has 1
Haumea has 2
Ceres has none
Makemake has none

The Rob2
05-03-2013, 06:43 PM