PDA

View Full Version : Now, I’m not hating on Olivier Giroud BUT

Ashberto
04-19-2013, 09:47 AM
His current problems are not because it’s his first season here imo. Taking time to adjust to a new league makes sense for defenders and midfielders. It also makes sense for the feesical aspects of a striker’s game – winning knock-downs and battling with central defenders. I believe he improves us with dealing with set pieces and helping to clear the ball (not that there’s anyone to clear it to but that’s another matter) and has ‘adjusted’ to that well.

I don’t think it matters what league you are playing in when it is just you, the ball, the goalie, two sticks and the onion bag. If Germissio had fluffed that chance in the first half against Everton the sky would have fallen in around here. I was prepared to give Olly the benefit of the doubt at first, from my view at the other end of the ground, thinking that perhaps he was stretching for it but having seen the replay from behind the goal, and talking to a colleague who was sat behind that goal, I think it would have been easier to score than put it as wide as he did. Doubtless Monty will try to explain that his technique was perfect, as per Gervinho’s classic against Bradford, but I shall remain unconvinced.

I’m not writing him off, though I think he might be a little bit short in confidence, rather than lacking experience in this league when it comes to his finishing. Or he’s actually not quite as good a finisher overall as we need. I read somewhere that he’s scored 9 goals in the league, including 2 against good opposition. Not quite as impressive as the 17 that is trotted out. The fact that he is basically our only striker (no, not Walcott or Gervinho, and the manager thinks Poodle is not even good enough to try there) is a bit of an issue as well.

Nicosia Gooner
04-19-2013, 10:03 AM

Hendon Gooner (Only Easy Day Was Yesterday))
04-19-2013, 10:04 AM
to whomever passed to him.

Why doesn't he turn and put the defender under pressure and or take a shot at goal?

Lack of confidence or lack of skill or that's how Wenger wants it?

:rubchin:

modd
04-19-2013, 10:05 AM
and about enough and show more confidence in front of goal. That is fair point you make

redgunamo
04-19-2013, 10:12 AM

The Tony
04-19-2013, 10:24 AM

Ashberto
04-19-2013, 10:25 AM
I enjoy your doggy metaphors as much as the next fellow, but there comes a point where I have to put my foot down and defend humanity against the notion that millions of years of evolution of the neo-cortex never happened.

Our ability to doubt ourselves is part of what distinguishes ourselves from animals, and enables us to modify our enironment, develop sophisticated languages, create beautiful and fascinating past-times, and build complex electronic communication devices to talk about them.

Dogs just run around after smells and yap.

Sport IS about confidence. If I have to, I will explain why until I'm blue in the face but I don't think it should be necessary.

Bergkamp's Brain
04-19-2013, 10:25 AM
I've seen enough to suggest that there is a good quality striker within him. I'm not sure whether he quite believes in himself.

Classic Jorge
04-19-2013, 10:26 AM

Ashberto
04-19-2013, 10:39 AM
I can't remember that far back.

bostonbrian
04-19-2013, 10:51 AM
However like a golfer trying to get used to the pace of greens, I am willing to bet that his brain will adjust to the speed of the prem soon....

Peter
04-19-2013, 10:56 AM
I think you can make some allowances for the fact that he is at a big club for the first time, having had a fairly quiet career so far. He will probsbly get better but he is not going to start finishing like eduardo. It just isnt his game.

One of the things that worries me about him is his reaction to near misses. He looks crestfallen, as though someone has just told him his mum has died. Smacks of s guy who is desperate to get his numbers up.

He is never going to be a world class striker but he isnt bad. Certsinly a big improvement on chamakh. Overall a good signing- 13 million doesnt get you a lot these days and at that money he was certsinly a good purchase. I can see us signing someone who will jump him in the queue in the near future.

Nicosia Gooner
04-19-2013, 11:00 AM

redgunamo
04-19-2013, 11:06 AM
do you put it down to confidence? Or would you merely say that he is performing a difficult and complicated task that contains absolutely no guarantee of success, no matter how expert he is?

Ashberto
04-19-2013, 12:31 PM