PDA

View Full Version : Thatcher

seasider7
04-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Outside of my family, Margaret Thatcher probably had the most impact in my direction in life. For better or worse, this was the case for most teenagers from her era. Her policies redefined the UK and things were never the same. Again, for better or for worse is highly debatable.

Her rock steady leadership during the Falklands Conflict filled my young heart with pride. The brave heroes that fought (and died) brought tears to my eyes as I watched the news each evening. This was the defining moment in my life, as from that moment on my passion was to join the military;something I did immediately after leaving school. I doubt that Michael Foot, leader of the Labour Party would've had the balls to stand tall and proud like Thatcher did in the face of enormous hostility. Her defending the sinking of the Belgrano was exceptional.

Domestically she was a mixed bag for sure. Life in the UK in 1979 was poor, the state run industries were bloated and change was needed. Thatcher didn't murder the coal industry, she performed euthanasia on a dying entity. The unions had evolved a necessary entity of yesteryear in to a force vying with Government itself for control of the UK. Reform was clearly needed.

Her policies were mostly required, the problem was that the huge benefit for a few was paid for by the acute suffering of many. Thatcher was heartless in this regard. London and the South East boomed, whilst the rest suffered terrible hardships. The message at the time was akin to 'there's plenty of work, you just need to relocate' etc. What a f**king retarded attitude to expect folks who lost everything to be able to relocate hundreds of miles. Thatcher was callous and instilled a return to Victorian philosophy of 'I've got mine, so f**k you'. She insisted people looked to relatives for help rather than the State who had tossed them aside like Untermensch.

It wasn't so much that she made the tough decisions on industry, it was that she provided zero by way of transitional assistance to the devastated regions.

For every opulent Yuppie we had to endure in the coming years, there was a stream of wasted lives in the forgotten regions. For all the engorged and deregulated financial monstrosities there was a generation that had their life's dreams taken from them.

There are very few people that I wish death upon, Thatcher was not one of them. I didn't agree with everything she did, but I thank her for her balls of steel and for directing me into my career in the military.

Peter
04-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Saving my words for someone who deserves them.

David Pleat AHADF (Royal Welsher and monkey lover)
04-08-2013, 07:49 PM

Mo Britain less Europe
04-08-2013, 10:41 PM