PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use win8? If so, PLEASE, PLEASE help me with this one question......

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
03-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Any Windows 8 users? If so, I need help asap. Basically, I'm looking at a new laptop but it's win8, and on PCs I've only been using win7 recently.

I see win8 is like an iPad will all these silly app icons. I obviously don't need twitter or facebook.

But can I change the win8 UI (interface) to be like win7?

I just basically need it for essays. Now imagine I have 3 word docs open (eg essay, biblio and notes), and internet (with ten tabs but all in the one FF (firefox) window) and say 10 pdf (like Primary and secondary sources and other outside source articles.)

In Win 7, there will be an Adobe reader, a word and an FF icon at the bottom. When I hover the mouse pointer over the Adobe icon, all ten pdfs appear in little windows above it. So I can click on the relevant one. Ditto when I do the same with word.

And I can use CTRL+arrow keys, to move a window to the left half or right half of the screen (or maximise or minimise it.)

So I can have my essay word doc on the LHS of the screen, and bring up the relevant pdf, or the internet or another word doc to the RHS.

With the internet, I can maximise the window, find the tab I want at that time, and then move it to the RHS with my essay still now re-appearing on the LHS.

Does this make sense? And can I do it on Win 8 too?

Cos if not, I'd better get an old win7 laptop, cos I don't want to be able to ****ter but not research and write an essay.

Does anyone know?

(And how does the Logitech Win 8 multi-touch gesture trackpad (for two finger scrolling etc) compare with the Apple Magic Trackpad? Cos I'm used the the mac laptop and desktop allowing me to scroll up an down with my two fingers and the Dell built in trackpad is just a usual one.)

So can I still write essays on win8 like I can on win7? Or is it just for ****ting and facebooking and playing angry birds and the like?

Please help as I'd need to order it tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

Many thanks.

PET
03-21-2013, 04:58 PM

Maravilloso Marvo
03-21-2013, 05:06 PM

Wazza
03-21-2013, 05:22 PM

03-21-2013, 06:18 PM
So sorry I can't reply properly. Never used a phone before. Posting here not on a tech forum cos I don't know any, only had give mins till I had to leave, and when I've lurked here people have been helpful with tech stuff.

I need to know cos I'd only be buying the laptop for essays and if can't use it for that, only for ****ter apps, then there's no point.

The one I was looking at was 500 quid, 15 inch, 6 gig and with an i5 dual with clock speed of 2.6 which Turbo boosts to 3.2

Basically, I just want as fast a processor as possible. Any recommendations? Sounds like win7 would be better for me but will check the links later.

Any advice on a fast laptop would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

03-21-2013, 06:24 PM

CrossGun
03-21-2013, 06:30 PM
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/software-and-web-apps/how-to-make- windows-8-look-like-windows-7-50009546/ (http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/software-and-web-apps/how-to-make-windows-8-look-like-windows-7-50009546/)

:thumbup:

03-21-2013, 06:33 PM

halfsharkalligatorhalfman
03-21-2013, 06:37 PM
that is still the case with windows 8.

The only big difference between the two OSs is that 8 has a different start menu and runs a bit quicker. All the functionality should be pretty much the same.

Hendon Gooner (Only Easy Day Was Yesterday))
03-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Makes Win8 have the look and feel of Win7 or XP