PDA

View Full Version : Poms Abroad. Venturing to Mexico at their own risk

Chief Arrowhead
03-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Yes, it's that time of year for the annual culture clash -- Cultured, reserved English v. Spring Break Americans. DOwn Mexico way.

A few tidbits from Trip ADvisor reviews:

---------------------------

We timed it well as Spring break in the US had just started and as we were leaving, loads of squeaky, high pitched, overactive teenagers were arriving. If I had booked the next two weeks it may have been a completely different story.......

-------------------------------

The major downside from our perspective was the large groups of Americans in the hotel, as we feared Mexico is a package holiday destination from the US, this results in American "slob" culture dominating the hotel, certainly not worth flying 11 hours for. Supprisingly this did not effect the restaurants too much, we suspect the requirement to wear long trousers and use cutlery, probably diswaded the US visitors, they seemed to survive on burgers, bud light and room service. It will be back to the Indian Ocean resorts for us in the future.

--------------------------

When we were there last year there was a group of noisy and rude Americans there who seemed to want to let us all in on their personal secrets and habits.

---------------

Heh. I detect a bit of the Ian Harvey in the second one.

Pat Vegas
03-20-2013, 03:20 PM
It's all murder victims and lucha libre.

Chief Arrowhead
03-20-2013, 03:40 PM
The one place you don't want to go is the "mexican" side of Cancun .. dicey. However, the Resort part of Cancun is quite safe as are the resorts all along the Riveira Maya towards Play del Carmen, Tulum, etc. Heavy Policia presence there.

Admittedly it does take you back a bit to see the Policia with semi-autos drawn walking the beach!

Which reminds me, whatever happened to Vela? :sombrero:

Selkey - Wenger's hairpiece is a masterstroke
03-20-2013, 05:18 PM