PDA

View Full Version : Henry Winter makes some valid points I think

Dorset Gooner
03-04-2013, 11:55 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premi er-league/9906035/Tottenham-Hotspur-2-Arsenal-1-match-report .html (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9906035/Tottenham-Hotspur-2-Arsenal-1-match-report.html)

pjlincs
03-04-2013, 12:05 PM

Red N White Army
03-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Hindsight is a wonderful thing when it comes to (not)signing players

Peter
03-04-2013, 12:10 PM
But this problem was also targetted by spurs as a ploy. Rather depressing.

Monty91
03-04-2013, 12:13 PM

Dorset Gooner
03-04-2013, 12:14 PM

Dorset Gooner
03-04-2013, 12:16 PM
& scouts isn't it?

Peter
03-04-2013, 12:16 PM
When there is no pressure on the ball you have to squeeze right ip or drop Off and go with the runner. For both goals we failed to do either, and it happened before the goals and in most games we play.

Basic lack of communication and organisation within the back four. It has been there for years.

Peter
03-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Part of the game, much like running, or heading.

Classic Jorge
03-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Vermaelen has 'passion' though so it must be mertesaker's fault

Monty91
03-04-2013, 12:19 PM
by holding the line, even with no/little pressure on the ball, as long as you pick up runners. I've not seen Bale's again to judge it, but for the second, Monreal simply HAD to go with Lennon.

Dorset Gooner
03-04-2013, 12:20 PM
all well & good when you have top class players but when you have average players you struggle.

The Tony
03-04-2013, 12:22 PM
ARSENAL FANS and BOARD MEMBERS LISTEN HERE.........

If its true that some Middle East money men want to take over
Arsenal... and if its true that the current board would want to block
the move then I strongly advise you that I and the majority of Arsenal
fans will protest in the sternest and and strongest manner.

We will fight against this board for the sake of Arsenal FC. We will
casue a disconnect, a rupture that will expose us to the world.

We will not follow other fools who scarper and support the Utd's and
City's of the world (particularly Londoners), we will stay with our team
and make sure they don't get left behind with the minnows.

We are a calm bunch, civilized, fair and patient, we love and respect
Wenger for all he has given not just to us, but also to world club
football. But be sure of this: if our club is played with, tampered
with, experimented with or abused then you will see the wrath of our
behaviour, the aggression of our support.

We warn you now, DO NOT STOP MONEY COMING INTO OUR CLUB from investors.

We tried to get along without the billions, fair play to us but here's the truth: it hasn't worked.

We love Arsenal and we look forward to a new era whereby investors want to take us to another level.

May God bless Arsenal.

Peter
03-04-2013, 12:24 PM
As the guy comes inside with a free angle for a pass, the centres should be dragging the line back. Some coaches prefer to squeeze up but it is risky.

You cant do nothing, which is what we often do. It isnt covering and it isnt an offside trap. Its a static line that is far too easy to break, and yesterday it wasnt even straight. For the first goal, bale would have been offside had the line been straight.

Peter
03-04-2013, 12:25 PM
I think his overall approach revolves arpund keeping the ball and moving it well.

Defensively it is all about pressing the ball and trying to win it back. We dodnt do this well consistently and even when we do, like yesterday, the defence still doesnt cope well.

Monty91
03-04-2013, 12:32 PM
the crucial factor and the lack of support on the right which gave Sigurdsson time to pick his pass.

Arguably, again, Monreal could have noticed the danger and tucked in quicker, but overall I wouldn#t say it was disastorous defending all round. We got caught out, tis all, and it happens.

Not sure that kind of situation is endemic - can you point to other examples?

Peter
03-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Defoe and bale both turned their mrker and were clean through.

Happened earlier in the game yesterday but bale went too early and the ball was too hard. They were warmig up.

And yes, give me some highlights of games and i could find loads of examples. Watch our defensive line in any game and compare it to others. Thy never move decisively or quickly and all too often they dont move toether. The lines doesnt een change quickly enough to squeeze or drop with the moement of the ball. It is like they pick a spot and stay there.

Can you even work out who is supposed to be in charge of it? Vermaelen i think but you would hardly notice. Very, very little talking goes on.

Hillary
03-04-2013, 12:39 PM
I've never worked out why it needs to be like that. The mistakes our defence makes are either basic "not tracking opposition's players" stuff like yesterday, not being organised in defending set pieces, and weakness against the long boot up the ground to the lone striker.

It's been like that for years, regardless of the quality of player present in the back four. The problem is, I don't see how tightening up in this area would in any way nullify our attacking options.

I remember having big rows on here about it going back to the 2003/4 season and before.

Peter
03-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Prefers to use training to ensure his players are at the optimum physical condition and to encourage the passing and movement.

The more time you spend defending the more it interrupts the rest of the work. If he really is as obssessive about the physical side as some claim, it would explain the failure to spend enough time on defending.

Hillary
03-04-2013, 12:47 PM
is to buy a ready-made and top-quality entire back four from another club, i.e. a back four that had been together for 7 or 8 years and therefore worked well as a unit. A replay of the 1998-2004 golden times ahead. :-)

Peter
03-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Like a marriage.

Again, my understanding is tht wenger arrived with the old back four, they insisted on doing their own drills their own way. He allowed it.

Buy the best back four, ready made, and if thy dont drill in training they will be all over the place ithin months.

This rule applies to an even greater extent as the quality of player drops. Great players need to be told something once. Good playersneed to be told it once a month. **** players need to be told it every single day.

Hillary
03-04-2013, 12:54 PM

Hillary
03-04-2013, 12:56 PM

Tornado
03-04-2013, 12:59 PM

Luis Anaconda
03-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Cole (given debut by Wenger) - Invincible. Nuff said

Bergkamp's Brain
03-04-2013, 01:13 PM