PDA

View Full Version : Silent Stan V Un-named Middle East consortium V ????

Dr Headgear - Wannabe viking
03-03-2013, 09:16 AM
First things first, if we become Chelsea or ManCity then there's nothing left for me of the club I've supported since I was a lad. Being a fan, of any club, is about belonging and pride, and I see nothing that would make me want to belong any more, and nothing to take any pride in. Any trophies won in "Championship Manager with cheat mode unlocked" (thanks Jorge, an apt description) are utterly worthless.

I appreciate that not everyone will feel this way, but I'm sure there are a fair few others that do.

But why, then, might Kroenke be any different? Aside from apparently being "stingy", and not flooding the coffers with transfer cash from his private bank accounts.

This takeover attempt feels like its been brewing since Dein sold out. Kroenke was our "white knight", rescuing us from the clutches of Usmanov.

But I've always been uncomfortable with him. I've never been able to see what he gets out of Arsenal. He hasn't taken any money out of the club, he hasn't put any in. Yet he's spent hundreds of millions acquiring us. Why?

As far as I know - and perhaps Chief could clarify this for us - he's running Arsenal exactly as he does his other sports teams. He buys them, he doesn't ever sell them, he doesn't finance them and he doesn't milk them. I don't even see any tie-ins with his money-making business ventures that could offset some of his investment. There are no major tax breaks for owning a sports team. His businesses are legitimate and he doesn't need a whitewashing or money laundering service. Once he's bought them he does little more than install a CEO and walk off. So why?

It's possible that he's playing a very long game, and all his sports teams will be up for sale at some point in the future, but there's no real sign of that, as far as I'm aware. It's also possible that he'll switch tactics and start pulling money out of them, but again, he hasn't done it yet.

He doesn't even seem to be particularly interested in football as a sport, or Arsenal as a team, so I can't see how it plays out as a status symbol or even collectors item.

It puts us at the mercy of an owner who we just can't second guess, whose motives are opaque. I don't like it at all. But as things stand, still better than being bankrolled by an oligarch.

While we try and compete by the sweat of our own backs there's still just enough left of my boyhood team to take pride in. But we have no guarantee from Kroenke that something nastier isn't around the corner.

I have the feeling that whatever happens in the next few months / few years, I won't have a club in ten years time.

Mack
03-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Actually, agree with 98.7% of that. As long as nothing happens we will be ok . The use of italics does however disturb me.

(Oh and btw Mohamud is Mixote (RIP) in disguise...)

Nicosia Gooner
03-03-2013, 09:28 AM
best feasible solution

Only time will tell I guess but please, don't let us be another Man City, Chelsea or PSG

delboy ceg
03-03-2013, 09:33 AM

7evens
03-03-2013, 09:39 AM

Mack
03-03-2013, 09:41 AM

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
03-03-2013, 09:42 AM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/new-arsenal-take over-bid-set-1740490 (http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/new-arsenal-takeover-bid-set-1740490)
:rubchin:

Hendon Gooner (Only Easy Day Was Yesterday))
Interesting how the story comes out on the morning of the NLD and the points mentioned in it seem to assuage all the issues that have lead the fans to moan about the club.

What gives it away is the bit on how the "consortium" are willing to "work" with Uzmanov and get him a position on the board.

I'm not convinced....

:hide:

Mack
03-03-2013, 09:45 AM

7evens
03-03-2013, 09:52 AM
The blame for the current state of the game lies firmly with the people who set the rules of competition and administrate.
These people could stop all this nonsense of financial doping at a stroke if they really wanted to but I suspect their motives are more ruled by greed and the encouragement of disproportionate investment into the industry that they govern. ( No better an example than the upcoming Desert World Cup ).

You cannot blame the oligrchs, or anyone else for turning the sport into a financial pissing contest but while Fifa or UEFA stand by and do nothing, then what's the point in watching the club slip into a sort of mid table, top 4 competition either ?

I can't see that Kroenke's doing much to further the club towards greatness. His apathy seems to be undermining our manager to a great many fans who have now turned upon each other. A loss today will only further increase tensions.

At this stage there is no firm offer or choice to make.

bostonbrian
03-03-2013, 09:53 AM

03-03-2013, 09:59 AM
League - & get on with the important task of changing Mack's tag from :muck: to :supergrass:

Berni RIP :cry:

Hendon Gooner (Only Easy Day Was Yesterday))
03-03-2013, 10:00 AM
The money men see a huge potential in Arsenal.

However - I'm not convinced by this story....seems to tick all the boxes for the panacea of the troubles affecting Arsenal.

Mack
03-03-2013, 10:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txlXcJDtDwM&feature=youtu be_gdata_player (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txlXcJDtDwM&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

03-03-2013, 10:14 AM
And yes, various football authorities have sold themselves out.

I don't think there's much doubt that the bid is genuine, we just don't know a lot about it yet. It was the Telegraph that broke the story, with quite specific quotes from bid sources, not "Sky Sports understands..."

If football really is set to be a financial pissing contest, as you put it (and it is at the moment) then I'd prefer to let the others see who can piss the highest, I'm not interested.

03-03-2013, 10:17 AM
various reforms were absolutely necessary, football was killing itself - and its fans, literally.

But yes, it's been a slippery slope for the last 20 years, and for me at least it's sliding further than I can go.

I just don't know how to tell my kids :-(

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
03-03-2013, 10:23 AM

barrybueno
03-03-2013, 10:25 AM

eastgermanautos
03-03-2013, 10:29 AM

arse-nick (avid-analogue-addict)
03-03-2013, 10:43 AM

The Tony
03-03-2013, 10:46 AM
It's the way football is going.

To be honest there's not much fans can do. If Stan wants to cash in then he will.

Be happy that's it to a group who cares about the well being of the club....paying off the stadium debt, lowering ticket prices whilst still competing on the pitch.

Guess they'll make their money back through the TV money but that's their business not ours.

The flip side to all of this is that if they don't invest in us then it will be someone else....Could be a Roman 2 all over again ie he wanted to buy Spurs, they said no so he went down the road to Chelsea. Could just imagine this lot rolling up at the Lane and making Ronaldo and Cavani their first signings. 10 years from now all top clubs will have financing similar to this. If we miss out now then fans can't colain later when we're perennially stuck in the bottom half of the table. It's just the way things are...and don't give the bit about Wenger scouting out unknown talents and building them up....as more and more clubs get financed like then so does the player pool open to us get smaller and smaller.

Mo Britain less Europe
03-03-2013, 02:20 PM