PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think the Emirates pitch is too big for Arsene's brand of football.

The Tony
02-20-2013, 08:37 AM
Seriously. Not using it as my sole excuse for last night but it certainly favoured Bayern's expansive running game more than us.

When we moved I read an article where Wenger said he was signing players who would improve for the switch to the Emirates and playing on a larger pitch.

Very exciting, promising and forward thinking but you'd have to say that experiment failed spectacularly. Our game play and results at the Emirates have been desperate compared to Highbury.

I threw gameplay in there because I just new some smartarse would miss the point and post IRRELEVANT STATS. Gameplay is just as important. We no longer contain and impose our style of play on teams like we did at Highbury. There's just way too much space at the Emirates. Last night felt like a throwback to the old Wembley games when we were just outpassed and outrun by the European sides...Even fkin RC Lens beat us there.

I know it would be perceived as an embarrasing move but the club really need to consider reducing the dimensions of the playing surface in the summer. I don't see why they wouldn't want to anyway as they can just fill it up with more advertising boards.

I also think the size of the pitch is linked to our players fading dramatically late on in matches and the last 8 games of the season. I don't think they can produce the level of output they need to and maintain it for a full 90 minutes game after game on that pitch. Its too much work.