PDA

View Full Version : Remind yourselves of these old quotes from Wenger

Brentwood
02-20-2013, 07:31 AM
If we assume from these quotes that most of the good players were sold against his wishes, then not only are the board not supporting him financially, they are responsible for the dismantling of his squad. And on top of that, people direct their ire at him. No other manager has to contend with this number of quality players leaving, not even Spurs

He's still to blame for us not being able to defend simple attacks though

Quote:

"I am fed-up with people who think I have £100million in the bank yet don't want to spend it. How can people think that? The pride of the club is in having moved to a new stadium while maintaining the club at the top level"

Quote:

Arsene Wenger last night admitted Arsenal "can no longer be called a big club" if they sell Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri. "Imagine the worst situation - we lose Fabregas and Nasri - you cannot convince people you are ambitious after that," he said.

"And even if you lose Nasri, to find the same quality player, you have to spend again the same amount of money. Because you cannot say, you lose the player and you do not replace him.

"I believe for us it is important the message we give out. For example, you talk about Fabregas leaving, Nasri leaving.

"If you give that message out, you cannot pretend you are a big club, because a big club first of all holds onto its big players and gives a message out to all the other big clubs that they just cannot come in and take away from you.

"We worked very hard with these players for years to develop them, and now it's a time for us to keep them together."

Bergkamp's Brain
02-20-2013, 07:44 AM
get that right and then we can start worrying about who is at fault for the sale of our better players, trying to win things and even, hell, trying to play good football.

Fred Killah
02-20-2013, 08:23 AM
training.

It's the worrying lack of tactics and steady discipline meted out during games that really concerns me. Hard to excuse that.

One Wilf Copping
02-20-2013, 09:16 AM
Fred Killah wrote on Wed, 20 February 2013 09:23

training.

It's the worrying lack of tactics and steady discipline meted out during games that really concerns me. Hard to excuse that.

Exactly. Most of our problems have NOTHING to do with the size of our transfer budget.

And if people DO want to talk about our transfer budget, Wenger has spent 50m each of the last two seasons and what does he have to show for it? A lot of good(ish) mid-level internationals with little impact. He'd have been better buying just two or three genuine superstars and keeping RVP.