PDA

View Full Version : let Bouldy do his job then old boy

R.C. Celebrating the return of Trophies
01-31-2013, 09:18 AM
Arsene Wenger acknowledged his Arsenal side have defensive problems to face after their 2-2 draw with Liverpool, but urged the club's fans to have faith in his players as they pursue a Champions League spot.

Nicosia Gooner
01-31-2013, 09:20 AM
programme

He could of course be lying :-)

Dorset Gooner
01-31-2013, 09:37 AM

One Wilf Copping
01-31-2013, 09:42 AM
None of Bould's youth teams looked strong defensively. If anything they looked better going forwards. All the teams at Arsenal from senior squad down to schoolboys are drilled to play the same way. The failings are pretty much repeated at all levels.

Bould being a great defender doesn't make him a great defensive coach in the same inverse way that George Graham as a languid midfielder, Stroller, ended up being one of the great defensive coaches and put less priority on attack.

Bergkamp's Brain
01-31-2013, 09:45 AM
What actually is wrong is anyones guess. We do not have the inside information, but it is becoming increasingly difficult to trust the people in charge, when we see the shambles that took place in the first 60 minutes.

The first goal was a collection of individual mistakes but the 2nd was a total breakdown in defensive organisation. Inbetween Liverpool were getting behind us with ease. Yet, we should still feel disappointed that we didn't win. Giroud should have scored that header and Walcott scored the hardest chance, but missed two much easier chances.

Nicosia Gooner
01-31-2013, 09:46 AM

Bergkamp's Brain
01-31-2013, 09:47 AM

Fast Eddie :L:
01-31-2013, 09:51 AM
defensive record which is joint 4th best in the PL, which will give him an excuse to paper over the cracks.

The same with our bipolar schizophrenic Jekyll and Hyde performances o nearly every match day. When Dr Jekyll appears that induces his stubbornness and reasoning for continuing with what we got, as Mr Hyde precedes.

I think it's more tactically, but we definitely need a DM, and I have no confidence in AW altering our tactics and training methods :-(

redgunamo
01-31-2013, 09:54 AM

Bergkamp's Brain
01-31-2013, 10:09 AM
Graham was a prime example. A bit lazy, didn't like doing the work as a player, and made sure his teams were the opposite. Often coaches look inwardly and see their own failings. They often admire players that do not exhibit these failings and this can become a mantra.

This applies to all sports. I have first hand experience of coaches at football and cricket, who wanted their players not to show the same failings that they did.

redgunamo
01-31-2013, 10:18 AM
different disciplines, requiring two different approaches?

Like being a schoolkid and and schoolteacher. Or a shopkeeper and a shoplifter.

Bergkamp's Brain
01-31-2013, 10:20 AM
of course. But having an experience of the being the tutee often influences your approach when you become the tutor

One Wilf Copping
01-31-2013, 10:24 AM
Really interesting theory. I think Cruyff is the only obvious exception to that theory, bu there are many examples which fit your idea.