PDA

View Full Version : Most concerning thing for me is how few player Wenger seems to improve these days

JJSB
12-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Used to be his major strength, spot talent, buy it cheap, and then nurture it.

Now we're seeing so many players fall by the wayside, totally lacking in confidence and direction. The likes of Ox for example are not progressing much at all when he would be the type who would have thrived previously under Wenger's management.

Maybe the time comes when the midas touch just deserts you, sadly http://www.awimb.com/images/smiley_icons/frown.gif

7evens
12-11-2012, 11:39 PM
His was about four years a go http://www.awimb.com/images/smiley_icons/frown.gif

Jake
12-11-2012, 11:43 PM
At least try and criticise the man with something at least vaguely logical and justifiable, rather than his poor 'nurturing' of a 19 year old who has barely been at the club over a year, let alone in the team itself.

It's dull and f**king idiotic.

The Tony
12-11-2012, 11:46 PM
opting for a pace and class and its just not cutting it.

gone on the days when it was proper players like Lauren, Sol, Vieira, Gilberto in the side.

now its people like Ramsey, Wilshere, Santi and Gervinho.

also I wonder if he's still only dealing in creatine. Times have changed and the latest supplements on the market are basically legal steriods.

Always impressed me when Ronaldo had his 2nd season at United. First season he got bullied. Turned up the next season and he had put on 20lbs of raw muscle. Unstoppable after that.

JJSB
12-11-2012, 11:47 PM
how about Gervinho then? Season to bed in last year, promising at times, to this.

Vermaelen is declining week by week, Cazorla too after a promising beginning. And Chamakh, Djorou, Squillaci, Arshavin etc have deteriorated to practially being worthless.

Jake
12-11-2012, 11:53 PM
So you're judging Cazorla to be past it already and Vermaelen also? Can you not see how painfully short sighted this is?

JJSB
12-11-2012, 11:53 PM
we used to finish games and seasons strongly, now the players are constantly tired apparently.

Alexism - Atheoist
12-11-2012, 11:58 PM
I agree Wilshere is the tits, and Coq and Gibbs will be very good, but that's it really.

This game has me nuts. Struggling to find good things to think about Wenger, which is really sad given all he's done for Arsenal.

JJSB
12-11-2012, 11:59 PM
now a worrying number of players are not progressing as they should with time and experience, or are even rapidly declining in a few cases.

We previously could at least take it for granted almost that many of the players would at least improve, hence the reason so many clubs came in for them. Honestly who would we even worry about selling next summer for big money if we had to? Wilshere perhaps, but that's as much to do with his reputation previously at this point. Cazorla too on reputation.

Jake
12-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Go to bed.

JJSB
12-12-2012, 12:03 AM

Jake
12-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Go to bed or kill yourself, preferably the latter.

JJSB
12-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Wilshere's done some good things since returning. But he's not influencing matches as he was before, or quite at that previous level understandably, so yes in that case he is still trading a bit on reputation, say if someone wanted to buy him in January.

Cazorla is clearly extremely inconsistent

Jake
12-12-2012, 12:23 AM
Of course he isn't going to be the same level he was after being our player with the most appearances two seasons ago, but he will be, maybe should just wait more than a month to expect it.

Cazorla has just come to the league and has impressed but waned a bit after the first couple of months. I guess according to your logic Hazard is also **** and Kagawa should really be making more of an impact despite being injured.

Can't you see how infuriatingly illogical your point is?

JJSB
12-12-2012, 12:30 AM
even turn a profit on next summer, which is an indication of how few of them are actually progressing in a similar vein as players once did under Wenger.

One Wilf Copping
12-12-2012, 12:48 AM
The Tony wrote on Wed, 12 December 2012 00:46

also I wonder if he's still only dealing in creatine. Times have changed and the latest supplements on the market are basically legal steriods.

Always impressed me when Ronaldo had his 2nd season at United. First season he got bullied. Turned up the next season and he had put on 20lbs of raw muscle. Unstoppable after that.

Definitely. The same with Bale at Spurs. Was a slight, scrawny left-back who has morphed into a muscular, aggressive left winger with great upper body strength. It's not just filling naturally, it's something more. They need more gym work and the right 'supplements'...

Bergkamp's Brain
12-12-2012, 07:44 AM
With the exception of Cesc, not one teenage Arsenal player has matured into a top quality player. Jack may be the only other.

Peter
12-12-2012, 08:09 AM

Peter
12-12-2012, 08:12 AM
One match? Come on......

Bergkamp's Brain
12-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Really?