PDA

View Full Version : Boxingwimb - As a staunch cricket enthusiast I must say that I'm slightly embarrassed by Andrew

Rich
11-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Flintoff's return to professional sport.

Why have the British Boxing Board Of Control allowed him a licence to fight? Is there any chance he could actually be good?

I read an interview with the man himself today and he says that he needed something to fill the void left by international cricket in his life, which I find admirable, but there are many things he could do an amateur level that would focus his mind.

I just hope he doesn't make a fool of himself because he's a great sportsman and, more importantly, a great gentleman.

IUFG
11-30-2012, 10:11 PM

Peter
11-30-2012, 10:19 PM
Great ashes series though

Rich
11-30-2012, 10:23 PM
He's often mistaken for the latter, imo. But I think he just had a huge, insatiable desire to win. It wasn't all about him.

The man was a true great of the game. And he had something that many lack - class.

arse-nick (avid-analogue-addict)
11-30-2012, 10:27 PM

Luis Anaconda
11-30-2012, 11:17 PM
be captain and almost killed himself falling drunk of a pedalo during a world cup? Interesting definition of class

Rich
11-30-2012, 11:26 PM
always a bowling all-rounder and was our best bowler in that Australia series. Do you really think a captain makes that much of a difference?!

And nearly killed himself?! He just climbed out. It was Ian Bell, that needed 'rescuing'. But again, it was just an incident that was blown out of proportion.

Behind Ian Botham, the man is the best all-rounder that the country has ever seen. I thought you knew a fair bit about cricket but that post suggests otherwise. I hope you're just drunk. You really should know a lot better, old chap.

Luis Anaconda
12-01-2012, 12:02 AM
my response had nothing to do with how good a player he was - he was a superb talent. You talked of his personality and I responded to that point - he was an embarrassment to the team and let down Duncan Fletcher, a bloke who backed him to the hilt very badly. Not really much you can refute there. You really do reveal a staggering ignorance of so many things

Luis Anaconda
12-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Try checking your facts - Bell had nothing to do with the pedalo incident. He had been out drinking with Flintoff but only Freddie took out a pedalo

Rich
12-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Flintoff played hard but was never a bad loser. There's the obvious example of him consoling Brett Lee after Australia's defeat in the Ashes but that is by no means a singular example. It was an ethic he displayed as soon as he lost the weight and took himself seriously.

He was a class act with bat and ball, a class act as a sportsman and a class act as a human being. Sure, he didn't really have the captaincy style that befitted the team but you will be embarrassed that you questioned him as a man once you sober up.

I am very disappointed. I thought you knew about cricket http://www.awimb.com/images/smiley_icons/frown.gif

Rich
12-01-2012, 12:12 AM
Might be best to wait until you're sober, don't you think? http://www.awimb.com/images/smiley_icons/wink.gif

Luis Anaconda
12-01-2012, 12:16 AM
As pointed out this is about his behaviour, a player who had to receive warning after warning for his off-the-pitch behaviour doesn't deserve the moniker class act - ask his team-mates, many of whom were less than impressed with it. Quite why holding this opinion has anything to do with my cricket knowledge, I don't know, but keep saying it - it justr makes you look like a c**t

For the record I haven't had a drink so stop being a pathetic little **** and making claims like that

Luis Anaconda
12-01-2012, 12:17 AM
You can't because it isn't true

Rich
12-01-2012, 12:19 AM
Might have been Liam Plunkett or James Anderson?

Rich
12-01-2012, 12:24 AM
and rightly so. So GLWTP.

You do know a fair deal about cricket. But then you have followed it for bloody ages (longer than I've been alive).

I love to read about the sport, read the articles and books of people that play/played the sport and watch the sport. I am even lucky enough to get to watch at least one test of each winter live (not this winter, mind you). So I think I know a fair amount too.

I don't want an argument with you anyway, LA. Regardless of whether or not you've been drinking, you know vastly more about cricket than most on here and aren't a cock about Arsenal.

SOLMAN(read by millions)
12-01-2012, 06:49 AM
he never lived up to cricket potential , stats don't lie

Peter
12-01-2012, 09:56 AM
You know, not my cup of tea at all.

The thing is, most cricketers can be arseholes to some extent. It is a game that invites a degree of self-indulgence. One of the first things a good young cricketer has to learn is that he is batting for everyone, not just himself.