PDA

View Full Version : Are the pro and anti Wenger camps... (no pun intended)

Camp Freddie
11-25-2012, 05:03 PM
...divided by age as much as anything else? Apart from some exceptions on here, I wonder if those who are as old as me have a different perspective from the fans whose experience only marginally predates the Wenger era?

I, like many others on here, began my football odyssey in the mid 1970s and thus have witnessed periods when we were considerably worse than we are at present. Yes, six barren years is no picnic after the success we have enjoyed, but it is not historically unique.

I can think think of no other manager that would do as well, or better, than Wenger with the resources he has at his disposal. If my feeling is right, younglings need to get a bit more perspective before calling for the head of our most successful manager in recent history.

halfsharkalligatorhalfman
11-25-2012, 05:09 PM
I'm only in my 20's but learned a long time ago that patience is usually the answer, and moaning doesn't get you anywhere.

Camp Freddie
11-25-2012, 05:11 PM

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
11-25-2012, 05:11 PM
situation...for the reasons you state plus the fact life has other more serious issues. If I was young again & with no major responsibilities I imagine I'd be a lot more worked up & fed-up about it all...although I like to think I'd still back the team thru thick & thin.

David Pleat AHADF (Royal Welsher and monkey lover)
11-25-2012, 05:12 PM
This is now, and the times are different. Arsenal are a global brand with a big stadium now. They deserve at bit more than the bull given by the board and manager. Especially at the prices. I gave my ST back in 2009 and I struggled to come to terms with what he club had become.

Nicosia Gooner
11-25-2012, 05:12 PM

Yesterday Once More
11-25-2012, 05:24 PM
so our expectations were different.

JUNGLEMAN
11-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Pro Wenger - Boring sycophants who would blindly follow anyone. If Wenger got sacked and replaced with Mark Hughes he would be their new hero.

Anti Wenger - Would complain no matter who was in charge. If Wenger got sacked and replaced with a dream team of Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola they would be livid and up in arms.

East Upper for Supper
11-25-2012, 05:34 PM
These ****ers who can't take or understand the criticism of Wenger are just newbie tossers who have never understood football passion. Nics an exception because he has an obvious crush on Wenger. Football and expectations have changed. The limited resource excuse is invalid. There's no excuses for poor tactics, team selection and poor performances against teams with far less resources than we have.

Peter
11-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Anyone who disagrees with you is a ****?

Come on.....

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
11-25-2012, 05:39 PM
fed up with this trophy drought and I'm fed up with the lack of WiFi at The Emirates. I can't even FB may pals on match day!

Peter
11-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Patience isnt related solely to age. I might suggest that those on the extremes of both sides have their own reasons for being there. And both are probably a bit wrong.

Peter
11-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Fortunately george came along. http://www.awimb.com/images/smiley_icons/smile.gif

Yesterday Once More
11-25-2012, 05:44 PM
He's Chief Executive of Surrey CCC

East Upper for Supper
11-25-2012, 05:51 PM

Bergkamp's Brain
11-25-2012, 05:54 PM
I do not have an issue with whether he is right or the wrong man for the job, it is rather irrlevant imo. He is the man in charge, as simple as that.

I do not have an issue with the money that he spends or the players that he buys, for the most part.

My only concern is that he, imvho, is not getting the best out of the players that he has. I don't think he has the players to play the kind of football that we did 10 years ago, we just aren't as good. Therefore he does need to adapt a little bit and make us harder to beat and less open. I'm not convinced he is prepared to do that.

Gunner Since Time Began - born to moan
11-25-2012, 06:08 PM

PET
11-25-2012, 06:09 PM

11-25-2012, 06:11 PM
And I'm sure plenty of people who moan and whinge the whole time have some redeeming qualities, but, imo, it's quite a telling signifier about the man himself.

Hendon Gooner (Only Easy Day Was Yesterday))
11-25-2012, 06:30 PM
or are armchair fans.

I'm a season ticket holder and have been for nearly 25+ years.

And yes - when I first went to the Arsenal in the late 70s we had poor squads...but we were'nt paying ludicrous sums of money to see the football.

Now I pay nearly £1k and been told that I am being served top class football when in fact it's far from it.

And more and more it does appear that those that pay and go to see the Arsenal are more realistic about Wenger than those AKBs that watch from the armchair or don't even watch at all....

Peter
11-25-2012, 06:48 PM
And it is a rather stupid thing to say. Sorry, but it is.

gco40203
11-25-2012, 07:02 PM
the problem is that we had a top quality squad 8/9 years ago and instead of trying to build on success we just let it slip away and wenger did very little to stop the decline but stuck to his stubborn project. The irony is that he prioritises the league and champions league but now we are so far behind the others that it would take very large sums of money to make us realistic contenders again. All the time us supporters are paying top whack to watch us put in boring unimaginative performances against sides like sunderland, stoke, villa etc and look streets behind the clubs like manu and chelsea. In the meantime we hear year after year that there is £30-£40million in the kitty for wenger and we get second raters like chamakh, squillaci and all the other economy buys. We only have one style of play which most teams have now worked out. Wenger has run out of ideas and needs to move on before we turn into Liverpool scrabbling around for a europa cup place.

11-25-2012, 07:03 PM

Peter
11-25-2012, 07:11 PM
We could explain it by the rather generic 'human beings hold different opinions on subjects'

Of course this isnt the worst side we have had. Of course they havent been the worst seven years. But.....i remember some of the bad times...people werent overly happy. They wanted more. What is unique about the current situation is that we are not winning anything, not competing and, for the first time in my life, being told that this is fine.

The other thing tat irritates me is this notion that loads of other clubs never win anything. True, they dont....but they dont have 140 million wage bills. They dont have billionaire owners. They dont constantly boast of their huge increases in turnover and healthy profits.

We are unique, not just to other clubs but to our own history. There is no road map here, no guide as to how to feel about it.

Me... I appreciate that competitive sport is just that. I want more. I want to win everything, all the time. I might not get it but i will never accept being tod not to want it.

Peter
11-25-2012, 07:16 PM

11-25-2012, 07:22 PM

ArseMart - Enjoy every sandwich
11-25-2012, 08:05 PM

unavailable super quality poster
11-25-2012, 09:29 PM
well said peter. I argued for years the team was in decline and that was what bothered me, i don't get the fact we will improve with FFP or new sponsors, wenger and the board are happy with 4th place and if anyone thinks there is a sea change coming they are mistaken.