PDA

View Full Version : 352? no thank you

plastic james
11-14-2012, 03:30 PM
352 does not suit an attacking team like us. 352 is basically a defensive version of the diamond.

thats why italian teams switch between these 2 formations, which is also what mancini have been trying to do, ie switching between 352 and the diamond.

when you play 352 against 433....your 3 defenders are basically marking 1 striker...you wing backs mark their wingers...which is why opposition teams can push forward one of their 4 defenders into midfield and outplay your 3 midfielders, while still having 3 at the back against your 2.

its basically a formation for teams who defend against alot of possesion. thats why italian teams push forward one of the 3 defenders in 352 during a game into a defensive midfield position to make it a diamond formation to compete for possession when they want to attack. the problem with a diamond is that you isolate your fullback against 2 players in the wing.

in england where most teams attack from the wing that is a recipe for disaster, but like i said these 2 formations work well in italy, one is defensive and one is offensive.

i think alex ferguson unlike mancini has found the balance in english football, 4 titles and 3 CL finals in 6 years are the proof.

he uses 442 in the league, but switches to 443 in europe, this way he uses the width/strikers of 442 domestically to punish English teams, while using the strength of 433 in europe which is possession. these two formations are close just like the 352/dimanond formations are close. you just bring back one of your strikers or replace him with a midfielder.

width and stretching teams work in uk because teams are full of big slow defenders who can deal with you passing the ball infront of them as they will stand their ground and tackle you from behind. celtic v barcelona is a good example. this is also why england often only lose on penalties in tournaments, british defenders know how to defend deep against ball moving teams, because they never were interested in possession anyway. but they struggle against pace

in italy, its the opposite, mobile and nimble defenders have no problem fallowing their man and racing him, but they struggle when they have to defend their box for long periods as team, because they want to have possession at some time, its how they attack.

this is why the attacking plan of top italian teams is control possession and find defensive wholes against lower teams, but english top teams aim to get behind the defences of lower teams with pace.

imo alex ferguson have learned alot from wenger during the years, its time wenger learned something from ferguson. switching between 442/433 is imo better suited for us than going the mancini road.

Billy Goat Sverige
11-14-2012, 03:35 PM

redgunamo
11-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Good post, PJ.

Billy Goat Sverige
11-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Played it against a 4-3-3 and had the most possession for an away team at Stamford Bridge since 2010.

plastic james
11-14-2012, 03:44 PM
but because he slightly corrected the sh.te team he started with...the strikers got no service. when silva was moved inside they got better service. he also had too many defenders to start with, koralov, clichy, zalabeta, nastic and kompany....in a home game?

by taking out nastic a center half and bringing in attacking maicon and moving silva to the center made his team more attacking....it wasnt a tactical revolution, he simply decided to use more attacking talent rather than defend against spurs, dzeko coming in didnt to bad either.

Pokster
11-14-2012, 03:44 PM

plastic james
11-14-2012, 03:47 PM
and counter attack teams. they are not a ball playing team.

as for liverpool, they were absolutely ineffective and got nowhere, chelsea should have been out of sight....liverpool got more attacking threat when they changed formation for the second half

plastic james
11-14-2012, 03:51 PM
who does he think he is

Pokster
11-14-2012, 03:56 PM
carry on http://www.awimb.com/images/smiley_icons/smile.gif

Norn Iron
11-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Fot a team like us who usually dominate possession we can utilise our wing backs as attacking players. When we don't have the ball we're defensive and hard to break down.

There's a lot of emphasis on the wing backs to get up and down the pitch. You need 2 hard working, pacey wing backs like Gibss/Jenkinson for it to work. The only worry is getting overrun in central midfield.

Not sure if I like the idea. But we'll see.

Norn Iron
11-14-2012, 04:17 PM

SOLMAN(read by millions)
11-14-2012, 04:20 PM

The Tony
11-14-2012, 04:20 PM

plastic james
11-14-2012, 04:22 PM

Luis Anaconda
11-14-2012, 04:26 PM

plastic james
11-14-2012, 04:28 PM
i remember the pressure on jorginho and leonardo for brazil in 1994. i remember leonardo losing his head and elbowing an american and getting sent of.
ironically they abandoned this system for 1998 just for that reason when they got cafu and roberto carlos which was arguably better suited for that role

i'm not 100% against it,but i'm sceptical which is why i highlight the limitations and obstacles we could face. if the manager is convinced, lets see where it takes us.

wibble the lobster
11-14-2012, 05:28 PM

Peter
11-14-2012, 06:09 PM
That is one of the strengths of the system, the spine is strong. The weakness is a lack of width with only one designated wide player on each flank.

JUNGLEMAN
11-14-2012, 07:35 PM
No idea why with a defence that's excelled this season you would want to change things. Few dodgy results doesn't mean the whole system is wrong.

Thought we got it right the other day when were holding a lead and switched to a 5-4-1.

Worked well.

Chief Arrowhead
11-14-2012, 07:40 PM