PDA

View Full Version : Had we used up all the resources available to us I would be fine with whats happening now.

Goonerism
11-10-2012, 08:04 PM
However the fact that we left 70m (apparently) unspent makes it all the more harder to take. Our squad has no depth and our reliance on injury prone players is astonishing.

I refuse to believe that Wenger thought this squad could actually win the title, he is a very intelligent and perceptive man. I think the height of our ambition this year was to build a squad that, with good luck and minimal injuries, would finish 4th. Which is an incredibly risky move.

If you try to build a team to challenge for the title and stumble you still might finish top 4. Build a team with the goal of finishing 4th and stumble and its a different story. It would be absolutely catastrophic for the club not to get a Champions League place. Our frugality could end up costing us a lot of money in the long run.

I just hope we have what it takes to pull ourselves out of this shambles. I'm trying to be positive, I will always love Arsenal, I'm not screaming "Wenger Out!", I'm just really worried. It would be heartbreaking for Wenger's legacy to end like this.

C&B
11-10-2012, 08:10 PM
can't believe he is not touching that £70m. I can only assume Board pressure not to spend most of it.

arse-nick (avid-analogue-addict)
11-10-2012, 08:12 PM
might be hoodwinked here.
Yes we have huge financial backing from two hugely rich shareholders, but at the moment that's all they appear to be, and they want to make a profit at the end of the day. BUT that's not football as we know it.
I feel it's too late to really change much for the near future, this jogging along, being content with 'winning' forth/third spot has ground us into a ditch that will be very hard to climb out of.

JJSB
11-10-2012, 08:16 PM

Fast Eddie :L:
11-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Well maybe it is personnel if you include AW in that, as he stubbornly refuses to alter anything tactically or strategically.

The team we have should be good enough to see off the teams we've struggled with over the past 5 or so years.

Goonerism
11-10-2012, 08:19 PM
We arent told much, and what we are told doesnt really add up. All I do know is that fans are becoming increasingly disillusioned with the club and its direction. Like I said im sure most of us would be happy if this was the best we could hope to achieve but it isnt.

C&B
I don't know how true that is but yes, he has not been afraid to spend in the past.

Fast Eddie :L:

JJSB
11-10-2012, 08:23 PM
if that were to happen now, the attitude would be we don't need these players, especially for that money,they're a surplus.

C&B
11-10-2012, 08:26 PM

Brentwood
11-10-2012, 08:47 PM
"I am fed-up with people who think I have £100million in the bank yet don't want to spend it. How can people think that? The pride of the club is in having moved to a new stadium while maintaining the club at the top level" Arsene Wenger

C&B
11-10-2012, 08:55 PM

arse-nick (avid-analogue-addict)
11-10-2012, 09:34 PM
real chance to keep CF and RvP a few seasons ago, if only we had spent what we could have to bolstered the team with serious quality in the midfield and not the likes of Chamakh up front.