PDA

View Full Version : The McLaren-Hamilton contract breakdown situation is starting to look like Arsenal.

Ashberto
09-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Team nurtures driver from childhood to become one of the best in the world, with a few ups and downs on the way.
Team has limited resources compared to massive commercial behemoth of well-funded rivals.
Driver senses chance to become best-paid in the world, and a global super-brand, thanks to David Beckham's management company.
Driver upsets team's fans by posting bad things on twitter and allegedly badmouthing team-mates as being beneath him.
Driver's supporters point to shortage of silverware at existing team, despite regularly being competitive at the top.

The difference being that Mercedes have showed little promise themselves, so it looks like he's leaving for the money, rather than to win races and titles. People point to the new engine in 2014 which might be to Mercedes advantage, but the company could also pull out of the sport all together in a few years anyway, as BMW did.

TRENT COLTON
09-11-2012, 03:39 PM

7evens
09-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Their record over the years seems to support it. http://www.awimb.com/images/smiley_icons/shrug.gif

Ashberto
09-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Ferrari (Fiat) and Mercedes are major car manufacturers, and far bigger as brands.

7evens
09-11-2012, 03:55 PM
if their sponsors walked. and for me, therein lies the difference between genuine big clubs and ones backed by wealth.

Take your point though

Steve Williams - gay for Mark Knopfler
09-11-2012, 03:56 PM
When we were at Highbury we were the biggest small club in Europe.

I read that a few years back. I thought the Highbury comment was harsh.

Pat Vegas
09-11-2012, 04:11 PM